Touch Paints

Status
Not open for further replies.

booboo

[25]
Recently I have noticed one or two scratches on my car, nothing too serious but I would like to touch them in if I could, my question is....as my colour (Amulet Red) is not available by Audi for the A2, is my colour the same across their models? Can I use (if available) an Audi A4 or similar model Amulet red touchup paint?
Thank in advance for any advice.

John - 2003 1.4 SE TDI, Red, Black interior,

I'd say Amulet Red is the same colour whatever model Audi you have. I can't see Audi having several different shades of the same colour. (On purpose at least anyway)

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

I went to my local auto paint supplier for my touch up paint as Audi could not supply it for months. My man said it was a standard VW colour! They may all be standard VW colours.Incidentally it was very much cheaper from the paint supplier. If you live near Romford I could tell you where to go, but there are lots of paint firms out there.

I have now popped down to my local Audi dealer (Aylesford) and for the princely sum of £4.99 picked up the touch-up paint and the clear lacquer that seals it. It is indeed a standard colour across their model range so it was a little odd how when I first phoned and asked I was told that they didnt produce an amulet red touch-up paint for the A2 range......
Have now touched in the couple of areas that were chipped I have to say the match is superb, cant see the repair unless you scrutinise the area really closely.

Thats our local dealer too John. I always see quite a few A2's in the area but assume that is because we live so close to an Audi dealership.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Dam.. Had to buy the the paint and lacquer in Aerosol form as Audi don't produce a stick for Piedmont Red, Pearl Effect. :(

Halfords do some decent kits-got my Audi silver from them. Paint, laquer and a couple of tools to clear the area. About £6 IIRC

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

What technique do people use for touching-up their paint work? I've often found getting a smooth finish, especially with the laquer really difficult. Am I meant to mask off the area?

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

There are some tips on the autoglym web-site, IIRC it includes the use of ****tail stick to apply rather than the brush!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO (1.4 Petrol SE, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys on order) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

I think as a rule of thumb you can get some really good results from touch-up paints but it does depend on the colour and type of finish, ie, metallic ect. In my case it was a "solid colour" which just needed care in applying, not overlapping the surrounding area too much (unlike blending in with spray paints) then finishing with a lacquer. Other than that, a really steady hand (which I dont have ) and not attempting to fill in areas that really require a rub down and re-spray. In short, stone chips ect only....

The worst pen I had was for my Seat Leon in imperial blue. It was a Seat touch up pen too, but the paintwork was lighter than the pen.

Or the pen was darker than the paintwork....

Either way, painted stonechips didn't look good, but at least it protected the enderneath of the chip!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back