Towbar Installation near Portsmouth recommendations?

gmehl

I'm looking for a dealer that can install a towbar on my Audi A2 2001 1.4 petrol that would be near Portsmouth or Southampton. Any suggestions for recommended dealers who you know to have done prior towbar installations (affordably)?

I read the post by Allan about how he installed his own towbar and it looks far too complicated for me to attempt on my own. So I think that I will need to find a dealer to install an aftermarket model.

I'll be arriving on the Portsmouth Ferry from France and want to purchase a small dinghy boat with trailer, but need a trailer to be able to tow the boat back to Switzerland. I checked with my local Audi dealer and found the cost of installation would be 2100 francs which is approximately 1060 pounds! Alarming.

Thanks for any advice you might have about dealers who can do aftermarket towbar installations.

Garrett

I always go to the following in portsmouth, not sure they if they have fitted a towbar before, you could try and give them a call and ask. Best person to speak to is paul. You will have to wait so many day for parts to be ordered, and to be fitted in for the work.

Green road service station
Green Road
Southsea
PO5 4DY

02392 297706

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion. Paul noted that he couldn't do it and gave me the numbers of a couple of towbar installation companies -- Solent Toolbars and Mobile Toolbars both of whom are located near Portsmouth. Unfortunately, neither of them say that they can do the installation.

Anyone have any other suggestions for a company able to do an towbar installation located near Portsmouth or Southampton?

Thanks very much,

Garrett

towbar.

Hi GMEHI,
I have the same spec A2 as you and have 'researched' this problem, you are onto a looser because any 'towbar fitting company' will look up A2 towbars and the answer that comes up is: this model A2 is not suitable to have a towbar fitted! the only exception is, if you have air-con fitted (i Cannot see why?) and even with this fitted, no one would give me a quote! So i wish you the very best of luck in your search, do let us know (on this site) if you find anyone willing to do the work,
Cheers Alan.

Could be a busy little garage with support from the team! I have a trip planned next springtime. Maybe some of our graphic design gurus could come up with a nice logo for Skipton Autos? A play on the A2 badge, like Skipton
Au2os?
Customers and club members getting mod work done could get a sticker? I'm sure Ada would wear one proudly!! Just another of my crazy ideas folks.:D

Hi GMEHI,
I have the same spec A2 as you and have 'researched' this problem, you are onto a looser because any 'towbar fitting company' will look up A2 towbars and the answer that comes up is: this model A2 is not suitable to have a towbar fitted! the only exception is, if you have air-con fitted (i Cannot see why?) and even with this fitted, no one would give me a quote! So i wish you the very best of luck in your search, do let us know (on this site) if you find anyone willing to do the work,
Cheers Alan.

The only reason Audi stipulate 'aircon' is because the cooling system is slightly upgraded on models fitted with this option.
I suspect there is so little demand for A2 towbars that it was not viable for the aftermarket guys to produce a kit. A couple of club members have had towbars fitted by Audi dealers so it is possible - at a price!

Cheers Spike

Swindon Audi did mine for £600. However I suspect they may up the price as mine took 3 people most of the day to fit!

It involves removing most of the rear of the car.

I've had the air con thing mentioned as well - but I had climate so it was not an issue.

?!?!?! £600? ripoff.

Really, I don't see why you can't do it yourself?

There are aftermarket kits, from Bertelshöfer and Alko, both of which are almost as expensive as the original parts. No point, especially as there are tales of issues with Bertelshofer. Less than £250 for the 'bar and then a day to fit....

@gmehl - vielleicht wird das dir helfen: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=26073 - the towbar is under €400, with another €80 for electrics at kupplung.de.

Other threads for German readers: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=20905
http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=16320

Bret

Last edited:
Towbar fitting in Southampton

How about Southhampton Towbar fitting?
See: http://www.pfjones.co.uk/national-towbar-fitting-locations.html
It seems they will fit only towbars bought from pfjones

Matthew

I'm looking for a dealer that can install a towbar on my Audi A2 2001 1.4 petrol that would be near Portsmouth or Southampton. Any suggestions for recommended dealers who you know to have done prior towbar installations (affordably)?

I read the post by Allan about how he installed his own towbar and it looks far too complicated for me to attempt on my own. So I think that I will need to find a dealer to install an aftermarket model.

I'll be arriving on the Portsmouth Ferry from France and want to purchase a small dinghy boat with trailer, but need a trailer to be able to tow the boat back to Switzerland. I checked with my local Audi dealer and found the cost of installation would be 2100 francs which is approximately 1060 pounds! Alarming.

Thanks for any advice you might have about dealers who can do aftermarket towbar installations.

Garrett

Back