Towing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on the Audi Uk site that it is 1000kg if the trailer has brakes, otherwise it's 540kg. But I wouldn't fancy towing 1000kg behind me. I'd take 80% of those to be on the safe side.

Hi,

I'm towing 1000kg without any problem with my "75" BHP TDI. Can be quite fun at the traffic lights when it is wet and the pedal is pressed hard (ESP is working hard in some cases). People are really shocked to see and A2 with a caravan....especially when it rockets out of the way.

Now Guys I am really not concerned about the weight...yet! I want to know 'What prevents a towbar being fitted to a 1.6FSI Sport (with Air-con), when its got 'acoustic parking' sensors?" I have been told so many different reasons as to why one cannot fit a towbar, but it now comes down to the acoustic parking problem. Having eye-balled the tow-bar fitment (that was apparently for an A4 in the reception in Neckarsulm, on the factory visit trip) it occurs to me that the support bar that probably runs across behind the plastic outer skin of the bumper area, might possibly interfer with the sensors mounted in the plastic outer skin. Or is it just that Audi, in their wisdom, do not think one can put up with the parking sensor going off permanently when you select reverse with the trailer attached? (its not as if one does a LOT of reversing with a trailer attached!!!) If that's all it is then I will order one (I've been quoted £260 plus £70 for the electrics plus fitting charge!!!!) However if its the physical 'sensor interference' reason, then it sounds like once again I have been thwarted. Anyone with SOUND, FACTUAL well-founded wisdom and advice PLEASE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY.
Thanks Guys (and/or Girls) Richard M. Andrews 'e'mail : [email protected]

My A2 has got a tow bar fitted and acoustic parking. When the tow bar is fitted ( it is removable) the acoustic parking and the cars rear fog light are automaticly disabled. The fog light on the trailer if fitted can be switched on in the normal way.

Metalic Silver, 1.4 TDI (90), Open Sky, Air Con, Tow Bar,

Thanks Eagle; Where was it fitted? and what was the total price? and why then do Audi say it cannot be fotted to cars with 'Acoustic Parking" ? Oh for a dealer who knows what they are talking about. Richard

Mine was factory fitted.

At present my A2 has 3 software problems one concerns the acoustic parking, i.e. when playing the CD it cannot be heard.

First visit to Audi: Yes it’s quiet but we will need to remove it from the rear pillar - never done that before – might make a mess.

Second visit different technician: Just a minor problem no need to contact Audi technical. But a lot of customers have complained about it – I insisted that it when to Audi technical.

While I was drinking coffee (I am addicted to coffee and its free at Audi) he returned saying theirs a brand new A6 in the show room with acoustic parking lets have a look. Pulled up the menu and it was able to set the volume and the tone (cant do that on the A2). The tec. now disappeared and returned a few minutes later with 3 sheets of paper and said we can adjust every thing using his computer.

We found that the volume was set to 3, changed that to 5 which is max and programmed the tone to one that was audible above the CD.

All this shows how little Audi dealers actually know about Audi cars!

Moral of the story do not allow Audi dealers to fob you off : keep asking the question WHY.

Metalic Silver, 1.4 TDI (90),SE,Sport Seats,Winter Pack,Head Light Washers, Open Sky, Air Con, Tow Bar,Acoustic Parking, Auto Dim Mirror

This problem is typical for all cars. Most modern cars are equipped with maybe 10 CPU's and a small network (canbus) between them. Yet management keeps treating (and educating) mechanics as greasemonkeys.
It goes without saying that a proper trained and educated electronics engineer could solve loads of those problems. But most dealers will not pay extra for that knowledge. So mechanics skilled in that area tend to leave the dealers to work elsewhere.
The greasemonkeys remain....

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back