Toyo Proxes T1-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy1

OK I did a search to see if these were on the board already. yess 4 entries. No all Toyota! My search for info goes like this. Want 17" rime so now need to choose tyres. go to mytyres website and these are £61 wow. Decent rating in tyre tests also - match for Michelin, Dunlop etc. Wonder what they are like on A2. Noted that fitted to some used ones at main dealer but cannot help wonder if they fitted to reduce cost as different front on other half of car. Next I see Scooby at traffc lights - don't feel like asking sat in an A2! So ask main dealer who say they found they were good when new but go off quick and high wear - but this dealer also said Avon's were good!! So here I am - confused. Has anyone else taken the plunge into - what is on the face a cheap tyre? I read they are priced low as Toyo don't really have a foothold in Europe but things will change.

2003 FSi SE in Ebony Black Pearlescent; Climate; DIS; Winter Pack; Sports Steering Wheel; Copilot Light and Upgraded bulbs

I don't know anything about Toyo Proxes in combination with the A2, but everywhere that I've been they were highly regarded on sporty Honda's and Renaults.

The definite downside was that they indeed wear quickly. But in return for soft rubber you get very good grip, especially on dry roads. Reports on this should be all over the internet.

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I have a set of 215/40/17's on my A2 and they have been there since the delivery mileage. They have done 14600 miles and show no reason why I will not get 20K out of them with ease.

good tyre, nice profile and pattern, good all weather grip, quiet and I have no complaints at all with them but for the fact that I wish the curb ribbing was bigger like on my old Avons.

We ended up with one on a Peugeot 206CC when we could not get a Goodyear Eagle. Similar tread pattern, could not tell the difference in handling with only one fitted and didn't keep the car much longer so couldn't comment on wear.

It did give better wheel protection than the Goodyear.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield silver ? ? ?

I have a pair of T1 Pro Xs fitted to the front of my 51 A2. They are brilliant tyres in both wet and dry. Mileage is lower than for say Dunlop SP9000s, but not half - and after all, these tyres are roughly half the price of SP9000s. So, I would recommend them, they are better value in terms of mileage per pound. Oh, I can highly recommend MyTyres.co.uk as well.!

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)

Skipton01, so good to hear you like the Toyos, I've had two punctures (2 tyres, front and rear) in 4 days over easter. One repaired, one can't (inside side wall, not slow puncture). So I decided to dump the old Michelins and ordered the Toyos (185/50 16) from mytyres.co.uk. Not knowing how good they really are. When I get the new shoes on, I'll tell you guys about it, I mostly concern about comfort, noise and rim protection, then grip. I hope we can finally find a reasonably priced 185/50 16 tyre.

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

I run Toyo Proxes on my Elise - they are a fantastic tyre for the price.

Its come to that time when the tyres on out A2 need changing (really need changing) Ive been holding off for a pair of Mich.. but months to wait for them to arrive (if they can get them), I am having to select another brand. Over here in the south west can't get hold of anything but Pirelli and I am not paying the price for a tyre that lasts only 8000 miles, so I am looking at the Toyo Proxes.

So has anyone just driven into a tyre fitters and asked for them or do you only order them??

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

www.mytyres.co.uk do mail order tyres. Check if they have them in stock, because I heard of someone who had to wait 2 weeks.

With mail order tyres you take the new tyres to a tyre fitter. They tend to charge between £5 and £10 to fit and balance each tyre including new valves. Be prepared to shop around because many garages don't like their customers buying their tyres elsewhere.

It might be worth asking the local tyre garages to match the mail order price.

Shezlee
Cant comment on the Toyos but if you after good grip & handling, steer clear of the Pirelli Zero Neros - Pants!

Cheers
Rod

Similarly to others, I replaced all 4 of my original dunlops for 215/40/17 toy prox's T1-s.
I have found that the grip level is far better in the wet and when they get warm in the dry they grip like sh1t to a furry blanket, the ride is far smoother too..
I have done around 8000 (mainly motorway) miles so far, with very little sign of wear. Cornering and Roundabouts are a dream, as the loss of grip is very predictable (if you manage to push it that far). My car feels more 'sure footed' and Im far more confident with these tyres on.
I certainly didnt complain when I was charged £60 per corner fully fitted and balanced.

On my previous car (Leon Cupra) i had Goodyear eagle F1 GSD3's and was tempted to get some of them, but at around £90 each I decided to keep my money in my pocket becuase the 'potential' difference wasnt worth the outlay.

I personally recommend these tyres as a cheaper alternative to goodyear F1's.

I agree with comments by 'EF MAX' in respect that the side wall ribbing could indeed be bigger, but my 17's are scratched a bit anyway. So im not going to lose sleep over it.

Hope this helps someone.

Pete
[email protected]

I was interested to read that many people with the Toyo tyres had gone for a slightly wider tyre 215 as apposed to the standard 205 any problems with this. I have the Dunlops on mine and for a 205 tyre they look very skinny and offer no wheel protection at all in fact the wheel sticks out. Can i use the 215 tyre i guess is the question?

215/40R17 tyres will fit the 7" rims. However, the 205/40R17 is a better fit as the sidewalls are better supported.

www.topgear.co.uk are listing the 205/40R17 Toyo at £61.10 so there's no need to choose the larger 215/40R17 size.

www.xpediatyre.co.uk are listing the new 205/40R17 Kumho KU19 at £54.99. The tread pattern resembles the Continental SportContact2.

quote:Originally posted by naty

I was interested to read that many people with the Toyo tyres had gone for a slightly wider tyre 215 as apposed to the standard 205 any problems with this. I have the Dunlops on mine and for a 205 tyre they look very skinny and offer no wheel protection at all in fact the wheel sticks out. Can i use the 215 tyre i guess is the question?

Apologies as I simply looked at the previous post.
My toyos are 205's not 215's

Although Im sure that the 215s would (and do) fit...

One thing to note is when changing the size of the tyre what you need to consider is the rolling diameter of the wheel as it will obviously effect your speedo, braking and the overall ride of the car.

Try this link to see how much difference your new tyre will make.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Saying all that, the difference between new and well used tyres is significant enough to alter the speedo anyway,
So if you do change the tyre ,you may wish to consider a combination which is less than 2% difference to the original stated size (if that is possible).

Hope this helps

Pete
Red Audi A2 TDi Sport
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back