traction control

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macumlad

well i awoke to the beautifull sight of thick freshly fallen snow at 5am this morning & decided to drag myself out of my bed to go out & try this traction controll thingy that i had read so much about.

needless to say, about 45 minutes later, i returned back home with a great big smile on my face[23]

i can honestly say that i am very very impressed with the performance of this car in the snow.

no matter how hard i tried to rev the engine & make the car loose controll (morrisons car park, which wasn't open & didnt have any other cars in it) it just wouldnt do it. i had my right foot flat to the floor but the car would only rev slightly & i still had about 80% controll of where i wanted to steer it.

i must hand it to you Germans........10 out of 10 for a fantastic little car that i now have no worries about taking my children out in no matter what the road contitions are (driving with the utmost of care that is).....you certainly know how to build them i must admit.

thanks Audi once again for a beautifull little car that is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Glenn........Sunderland/north east England.

Hi Glenn,

Snow is fun, if you're not going to work ;)

I think I have to disagree with you about the real safety of all this Traction Control and ESP stuff.
Even though the Traction Control works miracles when accelerating from standstill, it (and the ESP on top of that) will definately NOT help you when you steer into a slippery corner. If your speed is too high, no amount of intelligent braking will save you and your car before you go too wide. Too wide to miss that other car, or the ditch across the road.
When it's slippery, it's slippery. You still have to adjust. A lot.

And of course, the only reason I wanted to say this for, was because I _almost_ ended up in the previously mentioned ditch, on the other side of that snow-covered corner. All well, but still a bit scared afterwards.

Drive safely!

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

thanks Edo for your good advice, although like yourself i do drive carefully when out on the public roads it is still good to have a little (fun)when the opportunity arises.

i thank you for your concern my friend.

kind regards. Glenn

[24]
Actually it is even better with the traction turned off.
Sunderland is flat ish and if you have a large steep hill the traction just cuts the power and leaves you stranded. Switch it off and give it rice. It is afterall why there is a switch in the first place. Stopping is better Off too as the wedge infront of the tyre in snow stops the car.

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

bl**dy ell.........its 5.10am & i cant believe how much snow has fallen overnight..........must be atleast 16-18 inches. maybe i will forget all about the traction control & take my wifes land rover 2 work today............lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back