Travelling abroad in the A2

craigyb

A2OC Donor
I've got a road trip in the A2 coming up in several weeks time. About 4000 miles across Europe into the south of the Ukraine.

I know several people have traveled to Europe in their own A2's, any advice you can offer would be grateful

I have already learned not to pull out into an empty dual carriageway unless every lane is empty, but I'm keen to hear about other peoples experiences

worst problem is trying to get suitable brake down cover at reasonable cost as the A2 is over 12 years old. At this age most insurers take a rather dim view and don't offer cover at sensible money

All I can think of at moment is take spare fuses, spares bulbs, headlight beam deflectors, high vis jackets one for each passenger and I hear 2 pack breathalyser. I'd suggest some poncho's thingies

Sarge

I got the top end RAC travel kit with everything I need as the Ukraine has some extra requirements such as fire extinguisher, having travelled to the Ukraine for the last 3 to 4 years I don't think I've ever seen a car (taxi) with one in. So I don't think its enforced, but I want to be covered just in case.

I have applied for an International Driving Permit from the RAC, a green card from my insurance company, fully comp cover for the trip, although that stops at Poland and I'm on 3rd party through the Ukraine.

I have decided to carry two spare wheels as the roads are terrible over there and there is a good chance I could get a blow out or even worse crack an alloy, so I bought 4x Audi A1 sport wheels and tyres at the weekend and I will take 2 with me. I don't carry back seats in my A2 so they will basically cover the weight of 2 missing seats.

I intend to do this journey regularly going forwards unless Mr Putin rocks up in the Ukraine then all bets are off.

The car failed it's MOT last week on split track rod end dust caps (go figure). Audi wanted 475 quid to swap the track rod ends. Managed to get my local tyre place to get them done for 110 quid including tracking. Obviously need the ticket for the car before I can travel anywhere.

Last edited:
worst problem is trying to get suitable brake down cover at reasonable cost as the A2 is over 12 years old. At this age most insurers take a rather dim view and don't offer cover at sensible money

Actually my insurance company Direct Line we very keen to offer me breakdown cover at a reasonable cost for the time I will be there.

I used to time the Border crossings in time for shift change<bribes still go on.
The ukrainians used to like IrnBru

Actually my insurance company Direct Line we very keen to offer me breakdown cover at a reasonable cost for the time I will be there.

That’s good to know will keep DL in mind for future trips
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very brave! We used to do that journey in the old A80. That car never broke down (170k miles). The A2s are a different story. I'm on my second one now and they just seem a lot less reliable. I'm still hoping to take mine to the south of France which is only about a 1500 miles round trip, if I can get it fixed in time.

The breakdown insurance is a problem, last year the car was under 16 years old and I could get single trip for ~£35. This year the same insurance is suddenly ~£150 because the car is 16 years old (only 57k on the clock though). I ended up adding breakdown cover to my insurance cover, because it's due for renewal in few weeks' time, it works out really cheap only £20.

Good luck on your trip!

Some of the emergency equipment (e.g. hi-viz, bulbs, breathalysers) need to be kept in the passenger compartment, i.e. not the boot, in some countries.

Some of the emergency equipment (e.g. hi-viz, bulbs, breathalysers) need to be kept in the passenger compartment, i.e. not the boot, in some countries.

I didn't know that but in my case the car is fully open as I have no back seats, so does that class as in the boot?

I didn't know that but in my case the car is fully open as I have no back seats, so does that class as in the boot?
As I understand it items like high viz jacket must be reachable while sat in the driver's seat to avoid the need of exiting the car 'naked' in emergency!

Andy

I have annual European breakdown insurance via Stuart Collins brokers. £190. I have never had to use it so can't vouch for its operation.

Whether you consider that as a 'reasonable' cost is another matter. Bearing in mind the potential consequences of a breakdown on a motorway hundred of miles from UK, I felt it was reasonable.

https://www.stuartcollins.com/breakdown.php

As I understand it items like high viz jacket must be reachable while sat in the driver's seat to avoid the need of exiting the car 'naked' in emergency!

Andy

French police are well known for fining drivers who do not have hi-viz jackets in the cabin. It seems a little unclear if it is required to have a hi-viz for each passenger. Also France requires alcohol kits which are 'in date'. The French Police are also very hot on enforcing 30kph speed limits through villages with on-the-spot fines - on-coming drivers flashing to warn should be taken seriously!

I'm travelling to Italy in a few weeks time in the A2 so I'll potentially take note of the 2 wheels option - I have a collapsable but may also take the normal space saver just in case I get 2 blow outs!

I took out comprehensive euro break down cover on the a2 for a whole year when I insured the car via admiral but it cost 80 quid - the level of cover though seems very good.

Considering that I paid £22 for a weeks brake down cover with recovery to home address for a 10 year old Ford Focus cc a few weeks ago I would consider £190 on the dear side. But it depends how often you are going abroad. In my case it would be once a year so an annual policy is just unnecessary expense especially when the years insurance cover for the uk for fully comp is less than £150
You do need an hi viz for each person in the car and they MUST be put on before you leave the cars cabin else mr French police man will slap you with an on the spot fine
The breathalyser is a recommendation but I bought a pair anyway as they were only £1.20 ea with free delivery from eBay
The clean air sticker is also required for France but I saw very few cars with the sticker so unlikely that you would be fined for not displaying one

Considering that I paid £22 for a weeks brake down cover with recovery to home address for a 10 year old Ford Focus cc a few weeks ago I would consider £190 on the dear side. But it depends how often you are going abroad. In my case it would be once a year so an annual policy is just unnecessary expense especially when the years insurance cover for the uk for fully comp is less than £150
You do need an hi viz for each person in the car and they MUST be put on before you leave the cars cabin else mr French police man will slap you with an on the spot fine
The breathalyser is a recommendation but I bought a pair anyway as they were only £1.20 ea with free delivery from eBay
The clean air sticker is also required for France but I saw very few cars with the sticker so unlikely that you would be fined for not displaying one

I'm based in Italy for most of the year, so £190 is a reasonable option for me.
There seems to be some uncertainty about the breathalyser requirement but since the cost is so low I agree it seems sensible to have them anyhow.
As far as I'm aware, the air sticker in France is only a requirement to enter certain French city area; e.g. within the Peripherique.

The French web site that I look on seemed to state that there are areas or zones that if you enter you need the sticker. The map had a row of these zones that all interlinked right across the middle of France bar a small gap that was not covered. I think it cost me around £4 for the air sticker do I thought better to have it than argue with a French police man
As I said I saw few cars with one and the ones I did were mainly foreign cars to France

I'm based in Italy for most of the year, so £190 is a reasonable option for me.
There seems to be some uncertainty about the breathalyser requirement but since the cost is so low I agree it seems sensible to have them anyhow.
As far as I'm aware, the air sticker in France is only a requirement to enter certain French city area; e.g. within the Peripherique.

Ooo Thats good you can help me avoid the zones i need to stay out of in Genoa, Rimini and Bologne in the A2 then? :D

Back