Tuning 1.4 petrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

shao_khan

Past Member
Was having a brief discussion with a chap called Eric at Advanced Auto sport about tuning for the 1.4 petrol and basically his reply was 'how much do you want to spend?' as they hav tuning options available for this upto 215bhp - and this is with no forced induction. He did say that engine build would be frighteningly expensive and not really suited to road use, but they do have offerings at 130/150/170bhp all done with revised cams, pistons, etc,etc,etc.

More info can be found through their website www.advancedautosport.com, the web site doesnt specifically mention the A2, but they arrange work with all of the groups engines.

Sounds interesting, however I have been unable to access the URL you provided. Do they have a new address or is it just me?

I think you need to go to http://www.advancedautosport.co.uk/
Not as '.com' as shoa khan thought... ;)

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 & 52.1 speakers, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

:eek: sorry - i knew what I meant just finger and keyboard refused to type it.

Not very cheap though, I have some prices and they prep upto full Class A or Class N spec engines, costs anything from a few hundred pounds to the price of another A2.

Audi 1.4 petrol chip is available from http://www.scottsmototune.co.uk/mototune/audi_tuning.htm (Dover)although it isnt listed yet. I believe it is £404 inc a free loan car to go to Calais whilst being fitted! although 404 perhaps isnt as cheap as I'd have liked.

Scotts are agents for SKN chips from Germany.
see website http://www.skn-tuning.de/audi.pdf (with hilarious voice intro at beginning followed by Colin McRae-like rallygame soundtrack!)

Scotts confirmation is
"We have indeed have software for the A2 1.4 petrol. Remapping the ECU and increasing the output to 90 bhp, with a 15% increase in torque.
The work can be carried out in our workshop in Dover, or tell me where you are based and I will name the nearest garage to have the ECU send to us.
Our website is currently being re-structured and I promise the A2 will feature soon.

Regards
Harald Peters
Scotts Mototune Ltd"

Thanks to another member on the forum who started me on this trail!! I intend to go ahead with this mod soon.
Being easily overtaken uphill at full throttle in 3rd gear by a 1.2 Corsa was the last straw!

Keith

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum game, but have enjoyed reading through the many posts. 2 weeks ago I had my wifes A2 1.4 petrol engine chipped by Impossible Performance; it was the first one they had done I believe. Before chipping, I found the throttle response very poor and it was relatively easy to stall the car when pulling away from standstill. I can well imagine Keith being out gunned by a 1.2 Corsa! After chipping, the increase in performance was certainly noticeable, much more mid-range pull (from 3000 rpm) and the car no longer wanted to stall if you let the clutch up to quickly without enough revs from a standing start: it had more torque and greater tractability. Saying all that, it's still no hot rod, but makes the car more enjoyable to drive. I find it's a common problem with all modern petrol engines having a poor throttle response, the result of increasingly strict emission laws, and the need to be able to run on 91 RON. The guy at Impossible said the changes to the ECU were mainly resetting the ignition timing (advancing I assume) with a small change to the fuelling to match.

In conclusion, the chipping went very smoothly with no problems at all and I would guess the bhp has gone up by perhaps 10 - 12 bhp, judging by the 'seat of my pants' estimate. I would recommend Impossible Performance as well, a small establishment (of 2), but knew their stuff.

Hope this is useful.......Jeff.

Hi Jeff.

I've been driving a 1.6 fsi loan car this week,whilst my 1.4 is being serviced.

i.ve noticed that the fsi's throttle responce is much better than my 1.4.....
In fact in comparison, the 1.4 seems very reluctant from pull-away from standstill.

Can you clear-up a few things.

1.Do 'impossible performance' replace the ECU,or remap your existing one.

2.Do they offer extra's with the chipping.....air filters/spark-plugs...etc.

3.Where are they based,and how much did it cost.

Thanks

Hi Scott,

The chip is replaced with one that's been remapped, and you get your original chip back. Don't know if anything else is on offer at Impossible, so can't help you on that one. The standard price for the conversion is £295 inc VAT, I mentioned this forum and managed to get a small discount. They are based in Rochester, Kent.

As the weeks have gone by, it seems the ECU has 'adapted' to the new map, and it feels as though it's pulling a little harder through the gears now. Economy has increased by roughly 3-4 mpg (calculated manually between fill-ups) since there is less of a need to rev the car to pull away sharply. You can also cruise around gently at 35-40 mph quite comfortably in 5th and still be able to accelerate; I'm sure the A2 wouldn't do that before the chip.

All the best, Jeff.

That sounds fantastic, I'm happy with my 1.4 petrol, but certainly wouldn't mind an extra 10-20bhp. That means crusing on motorway at 70-80 will be quieter?

What's the impact on insurance? I've got a pretty cheap deal with Admiral online, not sure if I can chip mine...

humps

The normal advice is: only tell your insurance company of modifications,if they are obvious changes...such as bodykits turbo-charges..etc..

If your chipped ECU box looks identical to the original....my advice is 'say nothing'

In the very unlikely event of your insurance company finding out....say you had it fitted to improve economy.

I find that if you mention 'mods' of any kind,to standard insurer's ,they tend to panic,and quote silly prices.

I gotta say Scott - I would tell the insurers about anything you change - I have found tesco, Direct line, etc to be more than sensible - but I know for a fact that if they find out and you havent told them there will be very little you can say to make them pay the claim - in general they dont want to pay anyway so I wouldnt try to make my position worse.

I think the 24% power increase on the TT cost me in the region of £240 - which i didnt think was bad - the advantage was it was all insured, so if the worst happened they covered the lot at replacement value above the cost of the car.

I agree. I think something along the lines of obtaining an advantage i.e. "not telling them the full facts to receive a lower premium" comes in here. Heavens forbid you have an accident and the insurer finds out. We'll send you copies of the A2OC newsletter to you once your inside!

I tried telling my insurer I was driving a trabant and they laughed at me......

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I bet a Trabant dealer could show Audi/Toyota a thing or two......

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Has anyone fitted replacement spark-plugs, or air filters to their 1.4 petrol engine.....If so did you see any improvement.

'Green cotton' apparently do a replacement air filter for £34 ,which i'm going to order.

I'm also going to see if i can get some 'Bosch super4' spark plugs.

i'm also going to give Shell Optimax a try.

How easy is it to change filters and spark-plugs yourself,on an a2.???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back