Turning off fuel warning light

Xiter

Hi! I'm a rather new member with a rather newbie question. Is there any way to turn off the fuel warning light (except by filling up of course)?

Also, is there anyway to kill the loud "beep" when the warning light comes on?

Regards

Know what you mean about the beep. It could possibly kill off anyone with a nervous disposition.
As for turning off the fuel warning light.. The immediate question is - why? You can turn off part or all of the display somehow (double hit of the DIS reset button) but wether it turns this warning off I don't know.

On a separate note, have you got any piccies of your A2 you can show us. The blue in your avatar looks very nice indeed. Don't think I've seen that colour on an A2 before.

There is no way of doing this, other than to disable the fuel sender - in which case you would possibly have the low fuel warning on all the time.

You can quieten down the beep however, it is made by a small piezo buzzer in the instrument pod. All you need to do is dismantle the cluster and stick a piece of tape over the buzzer to deaden the noise. You could if you wanted to, de-solder the buzzer, but it does serve as a useful reminder from time to time.

The reason I want to turn off the sign is that the outside temperature is replaced by the warning sign meaning I have no clue what the temp is as long as the warning sign is there. Pretty stupid design. As for the buzzer, how do I reach it more specifically? I don't have the manual yet but I will soon hopefully because that beep is really too loud. Thanks mates!

Rob Earl, I've uploaded pics in the gallery of my A2. I like the colour. I believe the Mauritius blue pearl was available only for the later part of the A2 production.

Xiter, you will have the manual soon, true, but it will not tell you how to dismantle the instrument pod to component level (Audi technicians only ever replace the entire unit).

When you have removed the pod from the dash, you will then have to use a great deal of care and common sense to get to the inside of the instrument cluster and you will then be able to see the sounder attached to the circuit board.

I would post a photo, but it means taking my dash apart, which I don;t really want to do at the moment, because there is nothing wrong with it!

Yeah but what if the warning starts on the way to work and the nearest petrol station is nearly back at home on the way home.

Luckily mine has DIS which means the radio display is replaced not the temp gauge but I know what he means, shame you can't acknowledge the warning and turn it off temporarily.

Exactly what I mean, I can still easily drive for another 120 kms when the light comes on.

I don't get your drift XITER. Who really cares about the outside temp anyway. Surely that doesnt matter unless of course you want to know what the temp is so you will be prepared to stop because you have run out of fuel. Just put in more fuel and if thats not for a few miles then just live with the fact that you dont know the temp outside. I ususally fill up before it comes on anyway.

If you think 120 kms is bad I had a Passat where you got the same beep to tell you it was 2000 miles to service - when I was only doing 200 miles a week this got a bit painful - they would not turn it off in case I mised a service and blamed tham. It is the same beeper for all warnings and no-doubt the same software....

thinks . . .

......so if an A2 doesn't beep when it is due a service and a Passat does, and the Passat doesn't beep when the fuel warning light comes on but the A2 does it may be configurable with VAG.com, or completely different software.

Back