tyre gunk

crb1011

does anyone know the best tyre gunk to get which maybe cheaper than the Audi one. dont have a space saver wheel so need to get something just incase I get a flat I feel sure this has been asked before

I believe there are products that can be put into your wheel / tyre which will seal any puncture you get, might be worthwhile looking into

I have some audi stuff you can have for cheap - It's about 2 months old and still in the Audi Packaging... Make me an offer

Not sure that I want to use the Audi stuff I am sure there are better products out there. If anyone can recommend one would be appreiciated

I picked up a can of "Flat Mate" from the local halfords.
It's probably the same gunk as the audi stuff but it's in a pressurised can so you inflate the tyre at the same time as putting in the gunk.
I've never had to use it but at £5, it's cheaper and probably faster to use than the Audi gunk.

Can I assume that once the tyre gunk has been used the tyre has to be completely renewed or is the gunk removeable once the tyre is off the wheel.

crb1011 said:
does anyone know the best tyre gunk to get which maybe cheaper than the Audi one. dont have a space saver wheel so need to get something just incase I get a flat I feel sure this has been asked before

My A2 came with the Audi stuff, but without the pump to reinflate the tyre. So I bought two cans of Holts Tyreweld on ebay which I think also inflates the tyre. No idea if they are going to work...

I have had a space-saver wheel, but it seemed more like a waste-of-space wheel in such a small car. I have had one puncture during about 300,000 miles driving (no punctures in an A2). So chances are I will never use the tyreweld.

OTOH I have run out of fuel 4 times.

Never say never.... We had 2 punctured within the first 6 months of owning this A2. I'd never had a puncture before.
Thankfully we have the space saver wheel which was used both times. If you gash the sidewall, tyreweld or similar is useless for this scenario.

I'm planning to drive to madrid from london later this month, i have the tyre gunk also, but just wondering if i should buy a spare tyre just in case??? if anything happens, then at least the rescue service will have a instant replacement???

I've had two punctures since purchasing my A2 9 months ago. The first was a result of mounting a kerb at crawling speed and the second from excessing uneven tyre wear which resulted in me having to have a full dealer geometry check.

On both occassions the damage to the tyres was too bad to use the tyre gunk, leaving me stranded. Also garages tend to charge alot more to replace the tyre if you use the gunk as they have to clean it off the wheel. The best solution is to get either a space saver or a full size spare and keep it at home.

if you get a spare why leave it at home wont be much good there will it when you get a flat. still dont know whether the tyre needs replacing if the gunk is used anybody had experience of this maybe I should just get a space saver and be done with it

crb1011 said:
if you get a spare why leave it at home wont be much good there will it when you get a flat. still dont know whether the tyre needs replacing if the gunk is used anybody had experience of this maybe I should just get a space saver and be done with it

Fair comment! Just an idea if you can't get a space saver. I've thought about doing it just incase I get a flat on my commute that way the missus or a mate could come out with the spare. A full size spare also means you can travel at normal speed which is handy given it can take a few days to for garages to get A2 tyres in.

Back