Tyre recommendations 16 inch 1.4 Tdi 75 SE

sunsurfer

I'm replacing the two rear tyres and would gradually like to move to a tyre/suspension set up that rides the potholes better.
Present tyres are Haida 185/50R16 81V

If I want to improve ride comfort what sort of tyres should I be fitting? Should I increase the profile - so I go from a 185/50R16 to a 185/60R16?
Anybody got any recommendations for comfort focussed 16 inch tyres?

Thanks

Mickey

Hi Mickey,

I hope you are well.

There are no 60 profile tyres listed on the tyre size recommendations on here, check out the wheel and tyre recommendations on here
The definitive tyre / wheel size thread

The 185 60 16s are too tall for the A2, they are 5% taller and the maximum you should go is around 3%.

I will possibly have some 15" wheels and tyres that might make a difference, but even then going from 16" to 15" is only half an inch of tyrewall extra. So tyres alone can't make a lot o0f difference, but some makes of tyre are "softer" than others and that can sometimes help.

but the main problem with A2s is that they are such a light car that they cannot soak up the bumps as well as a much heavier car can.
The fact that you get a silky ride in a Rolls Royce, for instance, is due mainly to the massive weight of the car and so it soaks up the bumps with being deflected by them.

Let me know if you want to go to 15" wheels and since you bought the car from me I would not charge you much for these, they come with pretty good tyres on them with lots of life left. They are currently on an A2 Storm, but I want to fit 17" wheels onto that, so the ones on it will be available soon.

These are the wheels on the Storm (they look pretty good too.)

Steve B
IMG_1606 (002).png

Any thoughts on replacing the two rear tyres Haida 185/50/R16 H tyres with something better and hopefully more comfortable?

There isn't a lot of choice at this size I am thinking about the Kumho Ecsta HS51

Any alternative suggestions at this size?

My tyres are the same size as yours: 185/50 R16 81V/H

I have used Kumho Ecsta HM and was very happy with them. Currently using Conti PremiumContact 2
Can't recall why I changed brands, so I presume cost at the time must have been similar, or maybe it was wet braking performance on that German tyre review site.

As to comfort: despite having owned my A2 for 7 years, I have never ridden in another A2, so I have nothing with which to compare.

I am in M20; you are welcome to ride in mine for comparison

Andrew

Hi Mickey,

If you do decide to go to 15" wheels I will let you have the ones in the picture above, free of charge if you can cover the courier cost (probably no more than £25 or £30 in total). That way you will have modern looking Audi manufactured wheels and slightly more compliant tyres.
You can then select whatever tyre you want (the tyre size is 185 60 15)

Happy to help if this is of use to you!

They are in good condition too

See the link here for more pictures.

Set of 4 Mk1 A3 wheels in good condition, taken off an A2 Storm

The other option that might suit you is that if I get the 17" sport wheels I want for the Storm I could sell you the Pepperpots and tyres (two are Continental contact 2 tyres and I am not sure about the other two,I can't remember the make so assume they are economy tyres)

I just paid £80 for the wheels and have bought a wheel cap for them at £23 so you could have the pepperpots and decent 15" tyres (185 60 15) for £100 all in, delivered.

IMG_0147.JPG

Steve B

Last edited:
I use Kumhos on 195s, have done for the last couple of sets, they do 25k on the fronts, rears never seem to wear out

Thanks for the responses as Allan S and Andrewparkeruk are happy with their Kumhos I've just ordered two.

Andrew
Great to hear of another Manchester owner. Thanks for the offer to ride in your A2. You're not so far from me I'm in SK7. I'll look out for your OSS tdi.

Steve B
Thanks for the generous offer and i would have taken you up on it but we are off on holiday with a lot of motorway driving so the tyres needed sorting immediately. In the long run I might look to drop to 15" wheels and pepperpots to have a better range of tyres and also smaller wheels usually mean better ride.

Back