Tyres

Colin 540

A2OC Donor
England
Hi,
Looking for info for the tyre size size to fit on 7J x 16 H2 thats the alloys fitted to my A2 TDi, want the best grip and good MPG, tyres fitted on now are 185/55/R16 83V and seem to be getting a lot of road noise from them, but that could be me listening for all sorts of noises its my first A2 TDi and its great always wanted one now proud owner.

...want the best grip and good MPG, ... a lot of road noise from them...

In one word, you want the tyre to do 'everything'? Best grip don't give good MPG, running 7J doesn't help either.

Either A048 or R888 are available in 195/50/16 and I can't think of others offering better grips, that's your requirement of 'best grip'. Alternatively, you should be able to get AD08 in 205/45/16. You shouldn't find the extra grip of 048 over AD08 on normal road (unless you're pushing before tyres are warmed) and should give you better MPG and more friendly in the wet.

Hi,
Thanks for that info,the tyres that are on at the moment will need replacing in 6/12months just want to put on the correct tyres to the wheels fitted,I was told by previous owner they came of a A3.

A good question to start with is, what's your budget for tyres? Are prepared to pay the full monty for the top performance, premium brand tyre, or are you more budget-concious?
Also, what is your absolute number one priority? MPG? Or wear rate? Or noise? Or wet grip? Often these factors are mutually exclusive.
There are so many makes and models of tyre available it's difficult to know where to start!
Would you be looking to replace all 4 in one go? One option as Humps mentions above is to change all 4 at once and go for the slightly different 195/50/16 tyre size as this will increase the options, and also likely to be cheaper per-tyre.

Hi all,
And thanks for your imput,will probably go for 195/50/16 tyre when the time comes to replace them,and yes I am always looking for a good deal on everything theese days.

I presume from looking at your Avatar and your wheel description that you have the 16" 7j TT wheels which are the same wheels that i currently have on my TDI Sport too.

Your 185 tyres must be really stretched on the 7j rims as they are really for the 6j rim and i would presume that the previous owner probably swapped the tyres over off his 6j rims when he purchased them.

My wheels are currently wearing the 205/55 16 tyres that were standard fit on the wheels when they were on the TT that they came off and with my car being a sport and having the 10mm lower suspension when i have the car loaded up and go over a speed bump they can touch the rear wheel arches, not enough to do damage but enough to make a rather unpleasant noise and also on full lock they can just touch the inner wheel arch linings at the front but this isn't really an issue.

They also really fill the arches and whilst they give a lot of extra comfort, aesthetically look wrong to me, a bit like 4x4 tyres but i don't think i would be going less than 205 on this width of rim though, as this is pretty much the least tyre width that would give you any kind of rim protection at all.

Therefore in my opinion and with your car being a sport i would agree with the previous advise and go with 205/45 16.

If it was an SE with the slighly higher suspension 205/50 16 would probably be the choice as many others have used to gain a bit more side wall comfort and this size may still be an option to you.

Remember all different makes and models of tyres have different characteristics and even dimensions, meaning although it may be an identical size one tyre may offer considerably more rim protection than another identically sized tyre and look very different on the rim too, so do your homework before buying.

Hope this helps.

Back