Under engine tray

get1962

Hello list

On my 240,000 mile 2001 1.4Tdi car, the under engine tray fell on to the road as I was driving along a motorway yesterday, a bit alarming to say the least, but I pulled over & pushed it back into place, only for it to fall down another 3 times before I got home.

Bearing in mind the mileage my car has done, do you think there is any point in keeping the tray if I am going to have similar problems in future or do the benefits (MPG wise??) outweigh the cost of getting it fixed?

Thanks in advance

GET1962

The problem is that the little plastic fasteners come out over time. What you need are a handful of zip-ties, they will hold the undertray securely.

Hello Mike

Thanks for your reply.

My problem is that I don't have access to a set of ramps to be able to get under the car.

The little plastic fasteners probably came out 100,000 miles ago.

It's nearly impossible to get cable ties into place, Vince & the guys at Stealth tried that one earlier in the year when they had the car on their ramps & the tray fell back down after 5,000 miles or so.

The tray fell down again a couple of weeks ago & I got a local garage to fix it back up, that fix only lasted a few hundred miles.

The question I suppose I am wanting an answer to is. Apart from streamlining the underneath of the car to help keep drag down and MPG high, does the under engine tray actually serve any purpose.

Thanks in advance

GET1962

Back