understeering

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lee_112

Hi all ... just a problem occuring to my nearly a year old A2

upon entering a roundabout to go straight at relatively high speed 1st the slight left turn and then on the right turn the A2 seriously understeers - basically the car feels like its got a flat tyre or something at the front .. (eventhough i have chkd the tyre pressures) then the ASR light flashes to control the understeer .. with a bit of braking of course... it doesn't seem to happen everytime but often out of the blue... which is worrying

this hasn't happened to me during my the early life with the A2 and I've also had a service recently they said there wasn't anything wrong with the suspension ... im wondering if its to do with the tyres...

anybody had this problem??

Welcome.

Three things spring to mind.

The first is uneven road surface, not rough just undulating which is quite common for roundabouts.
Second weather conditions, wet, damp, dry etc
Thirdly, speed and use of the gas peddel, This combined with any of the first 2 will give this resault..

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

Lorries often spill diesel on roundabouts too, which cause this problem of yours.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

i have also found the roads very greasy at the moment, but find it quite fun doing understeer and then lift off oversteer (when its wet / damp only as i dont want to damage my little car). Im sure lots of it are down to the hard tyre compound and low profile 17" wheels making it worse in wet weather.

The only thing which bugs me is that the traction control automatically re-enables itself above 40mph which means you have to turn it back off when you slow down for the next round about.

A2 1.6FSI Sport in Azure Blue with strange blue sports interior
climate control, scratched front offside alloy, tape player.

If you have directional tyres, ensure that they are fitted and facing the correct way, as per the arrow on the tyre.

They should all be pointing to the front of the car, also looking at the tread, they should be pointing downwards.

03 A2 1.4 TDI Sport (75), Ebony Black, BOSE, and child seat

hey thanks 2 all for your replies ...

the tyres all r going the right way but i do think the greasy-ness of the roads is partly to do with my slip and slidin'

:)

Do'nt forget A2s understeer as normal!

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back