Unicorn Found! 1.2 tdi LHD.

Some of you may have seen this advertised on FB Marketplace recently. It was close to me so I went along. After looking around and the owner kindly offering to drive it to me to test drive, I bought it! The transmission works perfectly and it drives lovely. The car has been in the country for 6 years and been stored undercover. It is filthy dirty inside with a knackered drivers seat. It has climate and somehow an RNS-E unit which doesn't work. It needs a new drivers door as the wind took it and broke the check strap. It has the aluminium finned rear brake drums. I have sourced a mint Soul black set of SE seats identical to the ones in the car, a replacement Dolphin Grey door, a rear tailgate plastic number plate surround panel, a four spoke leather SE steering wheel. I will strip out the interior, new headlining, shampoo and pressure wash the carpets, overhaul the brakes, oil change , timing belt etc. I will try and get it as perfect as I can and as standard as possible. Any idea where I can get some centre caps for the alloys? I absolutely love it!
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2898.jpeg

Some of you may have seen this advertised on FB Marketplace recently. It was close to me so I went along. After looking around and the owner kindly offering to drive it to me to test drive, I bought it! The transmission works perfectly and it drives lovely. The car has been in the country for 6 years and been stored undercover. It is filthy dirty inside with a knackered drivers seat. It has climate and somehow an RNS-E unit which doesn't work. It needs a new drivers door as the wind took it and broke the check strap. It has the aluminium finned rear brake drums. I have sourced a mint Soul black set of SE seats identical to the ones in the car, a replacement Dolphin Grey door, a rear tailgate plastic number plate surround panel, a four spoke leather SE steering wheel. I will strip out the interior, new headlining, shampoo and pressure wash the carpets, overhaul the brakes, oil change , timing belt etc. I will try and get it as perfect as I can and as standard as possible. Any idea where I can get some centre caps for the alloys? I absolutely love it!
View attachment 122479View attachment 122480

I’m not going to say what I called Chris, when he showed me the car, proper jealous!

Told you you’d like it

Daft question - weren't the 1.2tdi seats extra special ultra light versions designed by an aerospace company with a bench rear? Was wondering when you said you'd got a set of SE seats to replace them with if they were *exactly* the same. Obviously could be mistaken on this as I'm not a 1.2 expert and definitely not an expert when it comes to mechanical things.

edit - appears it may have been only front seats, option code Q4T for specific parts as I can't find anything similar in the rear seat diagrams.

Last edited:
Daft question - weren't the 1.2tdi seats extra special ultra light versions designed by an aerospace company with a bench rear? Was wondering when you said you'd got a set of SE seats to replace them with if they were *exactly* the same. Obviously could be mistaken on this as I'm not a 1.2 expert and definitely not an expert when it comes to mechanical things.
Apparently that was the 'super light' stripped out version.

edit - appears it may have been only front seats, option code Q4T for specific parts as I can't find anything similar in the rear seat diagrams.
It was only the rear bench that was unique to the 3L. That car also didn’t come with air con or power steering so very much the ‘extreme’ version.

The seats in all others and indeed the front seats in all 1.2’s are standard a2.

This car @Chris Warren has is a 1.2 rather than a 3L. Still a jolly rare beast. Nearly as rare as the wheel trims he’s after 😬

It was only the rear bench that was unique to the 3L. That car also didn’t come with air con or power steering so very much the ‘extreme’ version.

The seats in all others and indeed the front seats in all 1.2’s are standard a2.

This car @Chris Warren has is a 1.2 rather than a 3L. Still a jolly rare beast. Nearly as rare as the wheel trims he’s after

I’m sure I read that the 3L seat made by Lear or Boeing?

Welcome to 1.2 ownership Chris They are a lovely drive, it still puts a smile on my face every time I get into mine!

You probably already know but the alloys you reference are in fact magnesium!! You will feel the notable difference in weight the first time you remove one . German eBay or similar is probably your best chance of picking up a set of the covers, they are very scarce.

Cheers
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This car @Chris Warren has is a 1.2 rather than a 3L. Still a jolly rare beast. Nearly as rare as the wheel trims he’s after 😬
Apologies Erling, I meant to give you a shout out about your positive vibes for the car. You and Crispy Ed convinced me!

Welcome to 1.2 ownership Chris They are a lovely drive, it still puts a smile on my face every time I get into mine!

You probably already know but the alloys you reference are in fact magnesium!! You will feel the notable difference in weight the first time you remove one . German eBay or similar is probably your best chance of picking up a set of the covers, they are very scarce.

Cheers
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I just automatically called them alloys!

I don’t think we’d be able to get alloys or magnesium wheels into the Z4, if it actually makes the trip to Germany this week Chris

Last edited:
Back