Unreadable oil dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_n/a

When we first purchased the A2 (1.4 petrol November 2001) it had a dipstick with a conventional flatened area on which to read the oil level. No problems reading the oil level. Then the 'o-ring' at the top of the dipstick broke. Audi couldn't supply a new o-ring (apparently it doesn't exist as a part) so we had to have a complete new dipstick under warranty which seemed incredibly wasteful - but I digress.......
The replacement dipstick is a completely different design at the oily end, having a round profile with concentric ridges. Reading this is simply impossible as it appears to read full even when the oil warning light comes on as happened yesterday on the motorway! My dealer Aston Green Audi in Slough tried to find me one of the 'old' type but were unsuccessful. So what do you do - wait for the light to come on and risk an engine seize? Certainly that's not recommended in the handbook, quote - "The oil pressure warning symbol is not a monitor for the oil level. The oil level should therefore be checked regularly, ................."
Pity it's not possible to do so.

Audi are very backward in this "dipstick" thing. My 1995 Espace had a conventional dipstick and a vertical bar type gauge display, in the clocks assy. So you switched on the ignition and the oil level was there in front of you. Probably the most important thing you wanted to know.
It seems to me to be a tad on the late side to suddenly tell you that a rod is likely to come through the side of the block any time now!!!
Blimey, there's a warning to tell you if you've left a door open!!
Regards John W. 2002TDI SE

I 've never been able to get a level from the ringed dipstick - I thought it was because I park on a slight slope. Anybody else having problems?

JR

A2 1.6 FSI, Cobalt blue, OpenSky, etc.

Yes!! This has to be the worst design of dip-stick I've ever come across.

If I find the man (or woman) who desinged it I'll [3]

Any excuse to use the new smilies [21]

robe.gif
1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm

In one of my earlier posts I told of getting an oil warning light on the motorway. The nearest dealer was in Blackburn, the technician said that it was impossible to read the dipstick but the oil warning light was more accurate. He put a litre of oil in, on return home the technician at my local dealer was asked to look at the oil level. He said that the dipstick was useless, but there was a litre too much oil in the sump.[13]I had a British Leyland once..... ( no dipstick problems, except for the dipstick who bought it:D)
I think that the dipstick designer also designed the wiper, over engineered and useless. No doubt there will soon be a fitting guide for a re-designed dipstick[1]

This dipstick thing is important.
Hollyrescue, do you know how the 2nd dealer "checked" your oil level?
I wonder if they have something like a "master" dipstick. Really this is a major problem, because mine seems to read ok, and the level has stayed the same for 3000 miles or so. So are all the dipsticks reaching into their sumps differing distances? To my mind it looks like the dipstick locating stop collar could easily move, and give a false reading.
I'm doing an oil and filter change soon so I'll measure the amount of oil that comes out and see how it compares with the spec.
When you think what the oil has to do in this engine, especially in view of the load on the camshaft from the 2000 Bar ( that's almost 29000 psi !) pressure mechanical injectors, it would be comforting to know that the right amount of oil was being utilised.
Regards John W. 2002 TDI SE.

The dipstick problem has been mentioned and debated on here many times before. The upshot is mostly "tough" by the dealer. That's how they make 'em, so your stuck with it.

Not the attitude to take!.

I wonder if someone like VAG Parts could get hold of the older (and more readable) version?.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

We have the same problem - reads over full but has done since new - We have not been back to the dealer yet, may go in on Saturday.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

JohnW
No idea how the dealer measured it, either of them, but they both took it into the workshop for half an hour. I haven't checked the oil for ages, waiting for the oil warning light, I really must look when it's on level ground. You would think that Audi would take an interest in this subject, I am sure they read the forum.

Words back from Martyn@VAG Parts: "The dipstick saga is terrible.... can any one get a part number for the old
one from a dealer, so I can check |I'm looking for the 'old' type?"

Anyone know?

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

Well, after just 3500 miles on the clock the warning alarm pinged and the oilcan symbol appeared on the dash. This despite numerous puzzled inspections of the damp end of the dip stick. I put a litre of oil in.
No discernable difference to the dipstick

Question for you lot is how oil is required from the warning light trigger to any point where one might notice any difference on a proper dipstick.

1.6FSI

mw

quote:Originally posted by mw

Well, after just 3500 miles on the clock the warning alarm pinged and the oilcan symbol appeared on the dash.
Same here... at the same distance too. I put half a litre in (as per manual) and 150 miles further down the road the light came back on.[B)]
My bonnet flap was obviously tired from its earlier activity and refused to open (yet again):(. The Audi Assistance chap and I managed it between us, however, and - having put another half litre in - claimed to be able to read the dipstick as full.
As the car was due into the dealer for (yet another) CD player the following day, I got them to check that there was no oil leakage and to fix the bonnet. Alas, it's stuck again now but at least I haven't seen any oil warning lights in the 1500 miles since :)

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]m.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box
ERW | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back