UPDATE: How is this possible.. Rad leak 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EF MAX

Okay, Audi quoted me £400 to fix a leaking radiator by replacing it. I took it elsewhere, much cheaper quote in the offering.

BUT, Audi says it was a stone chip to the front of the rad, on closer inspection it looks like someone has smashed into my car and dislodged the whole assembly, the cooler, the air con the whole damn thing.

The rad has gone into the alternator and this has caused the leak, but HOW???

There is no and I mean ZERO damage to the front, side or underside to my car. no broken paintwork, no dents, no scratchs, no nothing. I am the only person to ever drive my car since delivery and the rad sprang a leak on the way to work and no one had hit me or been near me.

How could such damage be created without me being aware. The rad assemble is twisted the pipes are bent and worse of all is Audi Reading missed all of this on their inspection.

Looks like an insurance job, and there goes my 27yrs of no claims,, should have got protected..!

A parking nudge maybe? Someone might have driven up to your bumper slowly enough to not mark it, and then carried on pushing. Deformable A2 bumper then rebounds, leaving no external sign... Sounds a bit far fetched, I admit, but?

Something from underneath maybe...can't think what at this point. What sort of force does an A2 bumper take before signes of damage? If another soft area of a bumper went into yours...maybe....but you would expect some paint or scuffing. Does the number plate show any signs of damage-just thinking if the impact was there you may not notice any damage to the bumper itself.

I don't know-how spooky-apart from the cost!

Steve - A couple of A2's, then a Corolla, now an Avensis T3-X 2.0 Auto

Infront of the radiator there should be an aluminium bumper beam extrusion.
11025082_679329daa6_m.jpg

11025083_b4b7b95961_m.jpg

Is there any sign of damage to this?
To push this beam rearwards, so that it damages the radiator would take a force of about 50kN, which if that had happened would certainly have damged the bumper fascia.
Also if the damage had been caused from below, then I would expect to see the undertray damaged too.

It's a very curious problem, sorry I can't be of much help.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

The underside is completely intake and like new.

Well the insurance company are going to send out an engineer. The amount of damage we are talking about is no 5-10mph impact this is 30-40mph damage behind that grille. This leads me to think that something has come undone and then things have been bumping around and made a right mess of things.

Still can't believe Audi missed all of this but I think this might well be a warrenty claim from hell.

EF Max
I just had a thought on this, my neighbour had a similar problem, lots of front end damage, not an Audi, last week. The engine mounting, a bonded rubber to metal sandwich, looked perfectly OK but when the engine was revved it jerked forward and up and caused a lot of damage. We took the engine mounting off and it had obviously failed on the bond, as it fell apart without the engine weight on it. Could this be a clue?

Erskine

These plastic bumpers can absorb a lot of deformation without damage - was looking at a mondeo a couple of days ago where both front wings were damaged but the bumber and grill were fine. Look for damage behind the plastic bumper - may mean taking it off.

If the engine mounts are going there should be a knock when the engine is loaded, or try loading the engine with the handbrake on with a (trusting) friend watching the engine mounts while you do it.

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Well the engineer came out yesterday. He said it had been hit, I am still not convinced. The picture above which shows those two bars in front of the rad are both intact and complete.

I guess I will have to wait until all is done and repaired but he said that I needed repairs to the rad, the air con cooler unit, the oil cooler and the intercooler,, man that is a lot of dollars.. no claims is dead now..

Maybe it's possible the car was hit by the previous owner. (are you the 2nd owner?) He or the garage mechanic then did a cowboy repair of only fitting a new bumper fascia and bumper beam, but never fix the radiator etc.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

I wish I could use that excuse, I have had it from new and no one else bar the delivery driver has even sat behind the wheel..

They took the car away over a week ago and I have not had any feedback yet. As I have been so busy with other things I have not rushed them, but that bus of a Mondeo that they gave me is to embarassing for me to be seen in and it just feels lifeless, no get up and go,, if this is a typical family car then I want to stay a single man..

LOL Audi Assist gave me a Mondeo once as well for 4 days when I had a flat tyre! My sentiments are shared with you on this one! Good luck with the repairs.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

UPDATE: Okay, they called me today to tell me all is done. Still no reasonable explanation of how or what, but the material list for the repairs is extensive and the final bill is £2890.00

YES Two thousand eight hundred and ninety pounds.. OMG.. Thank goodness for fully comp insurance..

[37]
Sounds like folding and mending of bumper and wings after a 4x4 has reversed into you in a car park - or similar.

[2]
Lets have the gory details of what they have replaced.

Your mind is best kept like a parachute.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with a subtle, refined design A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

quote:Originally posted by maersk

[37][2]
Lets have the gory details of what they have replaced.

Your mind is best kept like a parachute.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with a subtle, refined design A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.
This is where my money went:
• Front bumper cover
• Front bumper guide rails
• Lower engine tray and fittings
• Turbo rad cowl 8Z0 121 1284F
• Antifreeze
• Air con gas
• Front panel
• Bump beam
• Sundry parts
• Front bumper lower centra grille
• Front wing u/guard clips
• Turbo rad
• Radiator
• Air con rad
• Air filter box
• Radiator cowl frame
• Reinforcement

They also removed and refitted: both front wing u/guards, headlamps, bonnet, front bumper fittings, front speed censor, turbo rad and cowls, air con rad and cowls, radiator assyembly, radiator fan/motor, front panel fittings, air filter box, radiator cowl frame.

AND, they had to prepare, prime and topcoat the front bumper cover, blend the front wings and n/s/f wing edge.

PLUS, they had to discharge and recharge the air con unit.

And of course there was VAT.. p!$$ take or what? ohh yeh,, forgot to mention labour at £110p/h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back