Use of text speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
Are there any forum rules on text speak, estuary speak, or other 'versions' :rolleyes: of the queens english on the forum? And if not what do members think about the creeping use of text style posts which personally I find unintelligable and rude:mad:? Or am i simply becoming a member of the 'grumpy old mens' club:eek:?

Are there any forum rules on text speak, estuary speak, or other 'versions' :rolleyes: of the queens english on the forum? And if not what do members think about the creeping use of text style posts which personally I find unintelligable and rude:mad:? Or am i simply becoming a member of the 'grumpy old mens' club:eek:?

This is a sore subject, I got an virtual slap on the wrists whilst commenting on just one such post a little while ago. :eek:

Cheers

SARGE

But you are both quite correct in my humble opinion!

Text speak is useful for situations when people want to say things in a limited number of characters, but there is no such limit here (other than PMs, which can be no longer than 5000 characters). As such, it would help (and be courteous) to use the full versions of words (dare I say the correct versions:eek:), especially when dealing with sometimes complex and technical issues.

Although it's just in my nature to be helpful, I do take the standpoint that if someone cannot be bothered posting a topic in a full and complete manner, I cannot be bothered answering it in the same way (or not at all in those cases where I can't translate).

Cheers,

Mike

Who is quite prepared for a torching!

This is a sore subject, I got an virtual slap on the wrists whilst commenting on just one such post a little while ago. :eek:

You and me both pal!:) Dinnae fash yersel ma freen (sorry - that was Scots speak for 'dont worry my friend') I'm in the grumpy camp on this one - not fond of text speak at all :eek:

Last edited:
I do sometimes think text speak a bit annoying, when as you put it Mike there is no need to keep it short as there is no limits, i do use text speak when texting but try not to on here
so u can add me 2 the g/o/m/g lol

Phil

Thing is, though (and I don't want to defend too much), that my generation - that's the first couple of years who took GCSEs - simply weren't taught English as a language.

The words "adjective", "verb", "noun" mean nothing to many members of my generation. The younger one has absolutely no opportunity to practice and no requirement to express themselves accurately.

What worries me more is the inability to speak and write what should be mother tongue eloquently and to get even close to correct spelling. There are all sorts of aids to reasonable spelling and grammar built in to the browser, but, to be honest, I think there's a different issue: no-one around large swathes of the population speaks or writes correctly and the youngsters have no reason to want to improve.

I'm going to walk away from this topic now, as it's simply too depressing. Where is the UK going to be in ten years' time?

Bret

Last edited:
Where is the UK going to be in ten years' time?

Bret

I put my hope in the new generation as seen on "Britain's got Talent" :D:D or maybe it should be called "Britain is special" ;)

David

By the way, what is texting??? :confused: Next you will be telling me my VHS is out of date :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My wife recently received an essay from a first year university student which was written in text speak. Needless to say it was an automatic fail.

bn 17 im prite uz 2 constant txt lngwij both on9 & irl, bt do feel it rthr rude 2 converse n txt lngwij ovr 4rums, esp if ur askn a Q!!:p:p:p

Being 17 I'm pretty use to constant text language around me online and in real life, but I do consider it quite rude to converse in text language on forums, especially if your asking a question!!!

The beginnings of a very grim subject indeed here. As a physics teacher for a while I remember a standard viewpoint being "what's the point in requiring a high standard of english if the student is going on to an engineering or science discipline" or "don't criticise or correct slang as thats how people speak now, the language has changed as language will".
What i found though was the level of english was so poor that students had real trouble understanding sentences that contained more than one objects and also found it impossible to express their understanding of an issue. I have no formal grammar training in english either but read a lot. The use of text speak and very simplified modes of oral communication where prepositions are abandoned leads to writing that is unintelligible.
exit
N

Interesting replies! i thought i was going to get flamed for my thread! I take the same view as mike, even on e-bay if i get a text speak question I reply in an apropriate fashion deliberately misunderstanding their question. I will be the first to admit my English grammar is not always upto scratch ( in spite of attending a true Grammar School). My partner originates from Germany and qualified as an English teacher in Germany, now works in the languages department of a comprehensive. Ocassionally i will be shown some pupils essays and all i can say is where are these kids going to work and how as an employer am i going to get competant staff in the future? The first thing i tell any trainees I am responsible for is that EVERY letter or e-mail they compose is a in effect a legal document. Do school kids today have a clue how to write an effective letter? i doubt it.

I have to agree with Adrian, Mike, Sarge and company on this one.

Whilst language and written technique might evolve; grammer, spelling and accurate use of punctuation should be used whenever possible - more so on public forums, letters etc... Of course there will be occasion when this is not possible - education being one, inadvertent typo errors and Dyslexia the other. Each of the above will offer readers a sympathetic approach; text speak is not one that will though. I find it an annoyance which is difficult to read and understand, (dare I say "lazy" to write :eek:) and rude on public forums. In essence I don't bother reading half of these posts.

It is probably true that the use of "text speak" is more annoying for the older generation, (myself included here at the age of 35), but I sincerely hope that my children don't grow up in a world where text speak is the "norm" above and beyond the Queens English.

Darren

hey, I'm not a native English speaker but I hate text speak. But I do think it depends on the target audience. I mean if you're on bebo (which I most certainly refuse to even look at anything under that domain) then you're expected to speak like that and I have no issue with that.

However, if you go to a new ground and start presenting yourself with text speak, you're letting people judge your character associated with a typical stereotype of text speakers. And let face it, txt spk doesn't associate with impression of intelligent, polite and helpful. And if you don't do homework and check what the main crowd is like, please don't expect polite, helpful and intelligent replies!

While I try not to stereotype text speakers, I totally understand and agree with others here :)

i am on a number of car forums one of which is the astra owners Network ( as a result of helping to form the T8 Owners Club). i would not waste my time posting a thread such as this on that site..... I would definately be well and truly flamed! It does unfortunately make it difficult not to stereotype people....

bn 17 im prite uz 2 constant txt lngwij both on9 & irl, bt do feel it rthr rude 2 converse n txt lngwij ovr 4rums, esp if ur askn a Q!!:p:p:p

Being 17 I'm pretty use to constant text language around me online and in real life, but I do consider it quite rude to converse in text language on forums, especially if your asking a question!!!

I'm glad you did the translation for this as i got most of it but it was slow reading, i only use some "txt spk" when texting if the answer is going to be short and sweet, don't think i could get use to reading it i'm to old now :eek:(not even 40)

Cheers Phil

Text speak is all well and good when faced with a small keyboard and limited characters. When you have a QWERTY keyboard, it doesn't take much time to type out a quick message. When you're trying to express what could be a complicated problem, it's worth trying to be as clear as possible.

Common sense, methinks! ;)

As this is the International Audi A2 Owners Club, should we not all use correct English when posting? This can only help those who have to translate to their native language.

It has been pointed out before on this site, that anyone needing help with their spelling can use the dictionary plug-in for the firefox browser. I'm using Google's Chrome and it too indicates words whose spelling it does not recognise.

John. (An older member)

In my opinion, text speak should only be used when texting and even at that, only with someone you are very familiar with. Granted, it has become a type of colloquial language with the younger generation, but unlike other forms of colloquialism, it takes time to decipher and so it should only be used when necessary.

I try not to judge people when they use it and always remind myself that, were I a decade younger, I would be fluent in txt spk.

However, I can't get past finding it incredibly annoying.

I am also anti text speak, but having teenagers recognise that too them it is just a natural means of communicating.
And bonus it can't really be understood by the old ones (us)!!!!

Has anyone seen the e-mail about letter recognition?
It points out the identified ability of human biengs too recognise words by only using the first and last letter of word .
Not much different to texting LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back