User experience with Tracker systems sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa

Hi folks,

As you'll see, I'm also a new member of the forum and a very happy (privateer) owner of a shiny, sparkly Black, 'previously enjoyed' 2001 1.4 SE model, which benefits from a grey leather interior, the Bose upgrade and lovely ECC. After my aged VW Scirocco, it really is like moving from standard to first class on an aeroplane.:D

Not to say that the Scirocco wasn't a brilliant car, which I was still very happy to drive all the way to the South of France on two trouble and stress free occasions. Just I wanted some modern safety features, good fuel economy and leather seats in another modern classic design. :)
The awesome sound system was important, so I'm very glad that it's quite as meaty as it is 'cos any customising won't sit well, if I have to sell it on for any reason.

Anyway, since I live in London, and I have experienced what claiming for a stolen car does to your insurance premiums, I want to do all I can to keep this vehicle in my possession. ;)
To whit, 001 Mobile in Hersham (a rather slick outfit, attracting, it would appear, a significant proportion of the large gobbets of cash which are splurged on I.C.E in Surrey, each year) have quoted me 254.47 for fitting the 'Retrieve' system. This system is activated once the owner notices the car has disappeared and calls the police. If the car is on a boat (as the chap in the shop seemed to suggest was likely?? Realistic RHD markets surely only in the UK), this is not much good.
So then there's the 'Monitor' system, which detects any movement automatially, for example, if the car were loaded onto a low-loader. At 382 quid, this was the unit he was steering me towards.

Then, of course, you have to add on the 99 quid-a-year subscription or £299 for the duration of ownership. All in all, a pretty penny.

So, now I've given lots of background info, could any of you guys give me your first-hand experiences of the tracker systems? Is it worth it, which one would you recommend, any horror stories, huge insurance savings, etc.?

Any and all viewpoints appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

James

It is unlikely that a pro-thief will take an A2 for export - it is not expensive enough although RHD markets do exist and top end cars have ended up in places such as South Africa, India and Australia. But I do not think there will be great demand for an A2 in those markets. The car is more likely to be taken by some 16 year old muppet.

I know Whitehouse provide a free tracker with every used car they sell - so it is unlikely that Audi will charge much more than the amounts that you have been quoted. I would suggest you ask your Audi dealer what they recommend.

quote:Originally posted by Harps

I know Whitehouse provide a free tracker with every used car they sell - so it is unlikely that Audi will charge much more than the amounts that you have been quoted. I would suggest you ask your Audi dealer what they recommend.

Thanks Harp. I actually got referred to 001 by HWM Audi in Walton on Thames, since they said they wouldn't be able to fit it themselves. :D

Would've been nice to get it included in the second hand purchase price, though. Where're Whitehouse based?

Cheers,

James

All around South east London and Kent - they are multi-franchise - I think their Audi dealers are based in Maidstone and Dartford. They are probably worth checking with - they may be able to fit one for you.

The Whitehouse Dartford dealer number is 01322 277231. I've never dealt with the Maidstone dealer - but others on this website undoubtedly have. Let us know how you get on.

I'm in Streatham so it's a wee bit of a trek. However, if they're keen on price, they might get the job!! Thanks again and I'll keep y'all up to date with any new details.

Cheers,

James

Our A2 came from Whitehouse Aylesford (Maidstone). JDi's also came from there but I'll let him tell you his thoughts on the dealership.

So far:- Very polite service during the sale of the car and lead up to delivery. The only minor niggle was that one of the salesguys pleaded ignorance to the wiper dilema. Only after speaking to the 3rd different person did we get the answer we were looking for. Service dept has carried out all expected works and the car has been ready for collection on time.

This is just my opinion of the dealer and have only had the car for about 7 weeks now.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back