Vag com help needed

audimad23

Hi everyone i have just brought a vagcom cable off ebay and it is used, i emailed before i brought the cable and asked if it was genuine and the seller said it was and has full access with vcds so i brought it for around £80 installed the drivers software ect , so tested usb and said ross tech cable interface found so i went out to my car and pluged it in turned ignition on ect and said car not found , so tried on my dads 2003 a4 and not found on his car either, so i have tried to change to com port settings but when i go in device manager theres no option to change to com port setting it just says under usb bus controllers ross tech cable but its not under comports so i was wondering if anyone knows on here how to change it from usb to a com port as its doing my head in lol or if i'm doing something else wrong any help would be really appreciated as i've emailed the seller and he said he used it under com port 2 but its only showing up as usb on my 2 windows xp laptops thanks again :confused::(

You can change the port settings in vcds

Look around the option tabs / cable setup or something like that and you will find a setup tab for the cable, where oyu can test it etc and alter comms settings

John

Hi thanks for your reply I did that but it's. Still not only says interfAce ok on USB but wont work on Car have you got. Anymore ideas thanks

Right click on the Ross tech item in device manager, properties, port settings and then advanced? You can change the designated com port number somewhere around there I believe.

Cheers Rob.

What markings do you have on your cable and what software version are you using?
Fake cables usually require hacked software to function and can be unreliable.

This is a picture of the genuine VCDS Hex+Can USB cable:

IMG_0973[1].JPG

Cheers

Jeff

What markings do you have on your cable and what software version are you using?
Fake cables usually require hacked software to function and can be unreliable.

This is a picture of the genuine VCDS Hex+Can USB cable:

View attachment 9690

Cheers

Jeff

Yeah, it does sound unlikely that it's genuine to me. I know from experience that the none genuine cables can cause com port setting and baud rate issues. None genuine cables can work with the genuine freeware version of VCDS though or you can buy a licence for around £50 to work with your own cable I think which allows full functionality.

Cheers Rob.

Hi thanks for all the replies I've gone in to device manager and right clicked advanced ect but it's hasn't got anything about com setting and when plugged in to laptop on comes up under USB bus controllers and says ross tech USB hex can cable but not under comports , i asked if its a genuine cable and he said yes and when installed its fully activated vcds software so I think it's is genuine has anyone got anymore ideas what I can do thanks everyone

It won't be a genuine VCDS cable for £80. Used or not they command around £300.

Some of the non-genuine cables work with VCDS lite, but as a "lite" version it will not perform many of the functions of the full-blown version. It should be able to run a full scan though, however the £10 cables can also do this, as can hend-held devices.

If you have followed the installation and then attached the cable to the PC and car, with ignition on, and it doesn't work, return it to whence it came.......why......because if you can't rely on a diagnostic tool it is worse than not having one in the first place.

Cheers

Jeff

Did you try selecting the port setting in VCDS as John W. suggested ?

Open VCDS and on the first screen select OPTIONS,tick the USB port setting then APPLY (this RossTech interactive screen may help - http://ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html )

Assuming it is a genuine cable then its worth registering it with RossTech

Cheers Spike

Ok thanks again for everyone's help i'll try and have another go and see if i can get it working i've already got a cheap ebay cable but its not the full version thats why when i saw this avertised on ebay as genuine cable i thought i will buy it,but before i brought it i emailed the seller and asked his is it needed a hack ect and he said no you just need to download vcds and install the driver for the cable and i said vcds-lite or the normal vcds and he said the normal one. So i'm a bit puzzled, Also when i tick usb in vcds it says port ok interface found but when i connect to car it says port ok interface not found, thanks for the help anyway much appreciated :eek::confused:

Hi no not tried this one i was trying it on the version before thanks i'll have a go with this one see if it works thanks again

Hi everyone i'm trying to get my vcds working lol, I plugged obd in to my car and its said recognized but can not ready they it come up saying vcds not compatible with windows NT 4.0 the laptop i'm using is about 4 years old its a compaq and running windows xp i was wondering if anyone on here who might kno alot about computers could help me and try and tell me what i can do to make it work thanks all help much appreciated thanks audimad23

Where in the country are you?
What version of VCDS software are you using?
What version of firmware is running on the cable?

XP is fine as an O/S for VCDS, but you may have other drivers that are causing issues.

Please post a photo of the VCDS head clearly showing the writing (similar to the one I posted of my VCDS cable) and also a screen shot of the error VCDS throws up.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi just tried it again and says interface found port ok but now saying failed self test can not ready, it's version 1.79 and tried loads of vcds versions 10.6 - 11.11 - 11.11.3 doin my head in now can't take a pic as my camara is broke. Sorry , and it's like your picture but grey writing thanks again

Sorry, can't help without the info I have asked for - but I don't recall Ross-Tech using grey writing, so I suspect you have a fake cable.

Many "fakes" become useless if genuine software is used, because the software contains a firmware code that will flash the eeprom inside the head. If this occurs with a fake the cable is worthless as the eeprom will be overwritten and the new code won't work.

As I've previously said, the chances of finding a genuine cable for £80, in my opinion, are slim to none.

Cheers

Jeff

Back