Vandals smashed rear curved windscreen!

ecoangel

Grrrrrh!

Missus went out to All Saints church this eve (easter and all) only to discover after service that rear screen of A2 had been smashed in in the church car park! OK it's a dark carpark and Stockton isn't always the friendliest place but still rather unexpected!

To think she offered to walk but i insisted she took the car!

Such is life!

Wow so sorry to hear that,
I'm shocked we all know there are sad scum out there but to do this in a church!!, Makes me wonder where it will all end.
Good luck with getting your car sorted mate.

Not another one! It's like there is a mad man traveling the country hitting on our A2's, could it be... Mr Audi?!?:p

Ironically if she'd parked in the street probably wouldn't have happened! Spoke to the curate after service and he said they'd banned a gang of youths for 4 weeks owing to trouble they'd caused (church has indoor sports hall etc).

A2 damage: They tried to lever the corners of the rear glass off and it shattered the whole thing - lots of black glass pieces but it remained intact enough to prevent entry or they got bored enough to move on!

Now Easter Monday plans shelved as RAC autoscreens say can't drive car. They also said it could take 14 days to get new rear screen!!!!

OK so it was easter sunday 2150hrs and I'm sure the staff weren't too pleased to be working the holidays but I was somewhat taken aback by their attitude. At my wife's first attempt to get help they just told her she'd need to get the car towed before calling again.

I managed to get a lift over and called Police who said I could drive car home. Back to RAC autoscreens (by now 2240hrs) I tried to explain there are two types of screen one with long spoiler bonded in (1.6FSI and my 1.2TDI) and one normal one but they weren't really interested and talked about sat nav (which has a pick up on rear screen). If it's not on their computer then it just confuses I suppose.

Good they have an 0800 number but of course Orange mobile charges for that!

2309hrs another chap called and seemed to understand cars and what i was trying to explain. But 14 days with no useable vehicle and no offer of a loan car......not our department sir......

hmmmmm, customer service!

(rant over)

Not exactly what you would call a good service!!,
If I was you mate I would be on the phone to the insurance company to complain about the very poor service and stupidly long waiting time(Mercedes can get me a part over from Germany in about 3 to 4 days!!), and see if they can either move things faster of let you use another glass co.
Or get onto RAC and speak to a senior manager and let rip!!.
good luck and keep us in the loop mate.
Regards Andy.

Just another thought couldnt Audi get for you faster for the RAC if you know what I mean??.

I've got a rear screen, boxed in the garage, for just such an eventuality!

If it's of any use to you, they can buy it from me if they want, but I suspect they'll have to get it from their usual sources.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike, I even found one on ebay for £125 but he's off on hils hols for a week!

Called RAC claims helpline (their docs state " Now that you've chosen us for your car insurance, you can be sure that we'll be there for you whenever you need us: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We pride ourselves on our claims service. If it's 3am, pouring with rain, your car has been stolen or has been in an accident and you're miles away from home, all you want is help as quickly as possible"

"Claims are open 24 hours a day, 365days a year for both an insurance claim or a breakdown"

OK try calling their numbers:

Insurance member: 0800 404 6342 tried twice both times after selecting appropriate options "Our offices are now closed" and call hangs up!

membership Plus members (which we are) - same as above on thrid attempt just waited without selecting options:

"We are experiencing technical difficulties please call again in 1 hour"

Finally got through to a human being on their 8am to 10pm general enquires line. he was actually quite sympathetic and tried to put me through to claims (which is a seperate company not RAC).

Our policy states we have courtesy car option. Guess what!

"You have £60 excess to pay for windscreen cover. We cannot supply you with a courtesy car if there is only glass damage. It is not an insurance claim. You will have to make an accident claim (XS £220)"

But I explained this was not an accident - this was wanton vandalism and here is the crime number from Stockton police station. Surely if i have to pay an excess on a policy then it IS an insuranced claim? "No we cannot help you" came the reply!

I even mentioned that the rear spoiler would have to be replaced with the screen as it is bonded in. "Are you saying the rear spoiler is damaged? If so you will have to make a full claim" the insurers came back!

This "civilised" world we live in is increasingly moving towards insanity. In africa you expect problems and delays. You sort things out with local help and without the added hindrances of protocol, "quality" management paperwork and recorded phone calls!

In the UK you pay good money to end up wasting even more of it talking to useless answerphone machines and people who sound like they'd rather not work night shifts or holidays.

The RAC is a brand name - you don't deal with them at all, just companies they contract or those that pay to use that brandname to attract business.

All those companies then have their own regulations and get out clauses. I called Autoglass and they had me down with the same policy number as Norwich Union! The insurers I spoke to were actually London and Edinburgh. So much for simplicity.

Oh, I would be so annoyed.

Sometimes it seems like having a nice car is a liability.

I used to have an old Astra diesel, base model in white.

The little b****rs of Dublin got so good at breaking into it, they used to be able to do so without making any damage. They'd come in; fold down the seats to see if there is anything in the boot, open the glovebox and have a rummage around then smoke a joint and leave the butt on the floor.

It got to the stage where I knew not to leave anything in it and wouldn't be bothered as no damage had been done.

But if it were to happen to my A2, I'd be livid.

If I were you Lukas, I would stake the church car park out, confront the little hard men tell them that you know what they look like and they'd better pray that nobody ever touches your car again or else they will get acquainted with your wheelbrace.

Renew with RAC? Having 2nd thoughts!

Just received a renewal reminder from the RAC. So I've written to the RAC managing director Ms Debbie Hewitt. We shall see if there's any improvement.

ecoangel said:
I tried to explain there are two types of screen one with long spoiler bonded in (1.6FSI and my 1.2TDI) and one normal one but they weren't really interested and talked about sat nav (which has a pick up on rear screen). If it's not on their computer then it just confuses I suppose.
(rant over)

There is two spoilers, and two diferent type of glasses, one of that one is used with the Symphoni and tv equipment, and the other is the basic which have radio-cassete. The spoilers are interchanging.

Sounds as bad as Audi customer service! ... 8 days on since i phoned and Im still waiting for a call back to hear about my open sky. Good luck with the RAC!!

Back