VCDS lite glitch?

MickAli

United-Kingdom
Morning,
For the more familiar folks please.
I did a lot of engine work,had battery disconnected and upon restart engine light was on. After two more restarts it's now gone off, so result.
However I wanted to then check and clear any DTCs but VCDS lite keeps shutting down evert time I try to connect to engine module. I can connect to all other modules and even cleared a code in the conv one so I know the software is connecting.
Why does it keep just closing the program when I try to connect to engine module? Weird
Mick

Hi,
Sounds like a dodgy file, possibly the engine ECU label file.
Remove VCDS program, then download a fresh copy from Ross-Tech, and install it.
What engine is it please?
Mac.

Mac.
Sorry it's FSI. I have used the same program on the same car before without issue. I did think the same as you initially and will attempt a reinstall.
I think I already put the lbl file into the Ross tech folder (though I still haven't purchased a registered version of VCDS), will I need to move it to the new folder when I reinstall the program.
Mick

Mac.
Sorry it's FSI. I have used the same program on the same car before without issue. I did think the same as you initially and will attempt a reinstall.
I think I already put the lbl file into the Ross tech folder (though I still haven't purchased a registered version of VCDS), will I need to move it to the new folder when I reinstall the program.
Mick
I suspected it was an FSI.
Early versions of the A2OC FSI lbl file, which I was testing, along with @Andrew and @Seb_Gurkyh caused my Lite to crash, as you describe. It was down to differences between Lite, which I have, and Full VCDS, which Andy has. The later version of the lbl file is OK, so, delete your current lbl from the Label folder, download it again, from here, change the file type, (txt to lbl), and try again.
I am pretty sure that'll sort you out.
Mac.

Last edited:
Ultimately, if you’re just looking to connect to the ECU to read and clear DTCs, you don’t need a label file at all.
Whilst having a label file is handy for more in-depth diagnostic processes (measuring blocks, etc), it’s unnecessary for the task you’ve described. As such, if only to initially verify the cause of the software instability, I’d use VCDS exactly as it is when installed, without modifying anything or moving anything into any folders.

All the best,

Tom

Gents,
Many thanks. I was paranoid that I'd caused something, but logically I only did some engine work, albeit I did disconnect some sensors etc.
Anyway I reinstalled the lite version and lo and behold is communicates perfectly.
Only one DTC found which is G247 Fuel pressure sensor short to ground which I assume due to it being disconnected? Whats the location of the G247? Is it on the low pressure fuel supply rail?
I have cleared the code, no engine light on and hopefully onwards and upwards
Mick

Fuel Pressure Sensor is on the fuel rail. I'd have expected unplugged to read Open Circuit, but plug it in, and 🤞
Mac.

Gents,
Many thanks. I was paranoid that I'd caused something, but logically I only did some engine work, albeit I did disconnect some sensors etc.
Anyway I reinstalled the lite version and lo and behold is communicates perfectly.
Only one DTC found which is G247 Fuel pressure sensor short to ground which I assume due to it being disconnected? Whats the location of the G247? Is it on the low pressure fuel supply rail?
I have cleared the code, no engine light on and hopefully onwards and upwards
Mick
Good Evening Mick,

G247 is on the high pressure fuel rail which is integral to the underside of the lower intake manifold, access is difficult item 1.

1713559993178.png

Andy

If you find the sensor is plugged in, and you can unplug it, a scan should then read Sensor Open Circuit. If so, then I think the sensor is faulty.
Mac.

Mac & Andy,
Brilliant thanks. I have had another look and one of the wires to G247 is damaged and also the multi plug for the control valve (no.2 in Andys picture above) Looks like the inlet has to come off again and fix wiring.
Would either of you or anyone else have the two multi plugs for nos 1 & 2 so I can patch them in or any ideas where to get without buying a harness please?
Cheers
Mick

Try PA Products, (30727) on ebay. They are helpful. Send a pic, or part number.
Local VW dealer may be able to supply the moulding, and you'll need an extractor tool, to remove the pins. PA can supply pins and mouldings. Good luck 🤞
Mac.

Back