Vcds

H-M3

A2 Gurus

Any recommendations for a decent budget laptop/notebook for use with vcds? Ideally I want to install ETKA too and possibly add bmw software.

Thanks

Well as VCDS will run on any Windows laptop running XP or later and a USB port take your pick. If however you go for a full VCDS version instead of Lite you can get the Hex-Net which is a WiFi version of VCDs so this could be run from a PC. The cables for VCDS almost make it totally impractical to use the USB versions of VCDS on a PC.

So the choice is yours and does come down to budget and there are many good used laptops out there at very reasonable cost. It may even be worth while a cheap laptop and a higher spec of VCDS as unregistered Lite is less informative than the registered version. The full fat versions also give more ability and can work on later cars than the basic Lite can. There is very little difference in the speed of operation of VCDS between an old Windows XP laptop and an all singing Windows 11 version. One tip is ONLY use that laptop for the car software and stay of the internet to prevent issues.

As for the BMW software you would have to see if that has any particular computer demands....

Note although designed for Windows VCDS will apparently work on a Mac using Windows emulation.

Morning,

Graham @audifan is spot on above.

Just to add my tuppence worth if you prefer a Mac, I’ve got a registered HEX-NET unlimited which is running on a 2012 i5 MacBook Pro 13” that utilises Windows 10 via Bootcamp. Windows 10 is free so I have the best of both IT worlds. I tried a Virtual Machine in the guise of VirtualBox (Windows XP) and it wasn’t very good to be honest so went ahead with the correct way of doing things.

The 2012 MacBooks are quite cheap (£100) and easy to upgrade the RAM (2x 8GB sticks @ £16 each) and HDD to a SSD (256GB roughly £30-40 second hand) for improved boot up and application opening.

A little online research reveals that many BMW users have INPA (not sure if this is your software of choice for the BMW) working on Windows 10 via Bootcamp. For well under £200 you can have a very capable MacBook Pro that should be able to run all the software you mention including very demanding application like Photoshop etcetera.

Hope this helps if you’re more ‘Apple than Microsoft’.

Kind regards,

Tom

A2 Gurus

Any recommendations for a decent budget laptop/notebook for use with vcds? Ideally I want to install ETKA too and possibly add bmw software.

Thanks
Hi H-M3 ... I run the full fat VCDS on a Windows 7 Asus Eee Netbook (an eBay purchase £30) without any issues.

Last edited:
My preference and suggestion are ThinkPads from the old school era i.e. X200 for example that can take a beating and are plenty fast with an SSD

Evening,

Here’s some eBay links for what has been mentioned so far:

2012 MacBook Pro 13”

ASU’s Eee Netbook

Thinkpad X200

Microsoft Surface Pro

Work out which option you’d prefer and conduct enquiries for the best bargain. There will be many other options of course, you could start your own search on the usual websites for any particular make/manufacturer.

Main thing with dated IT is reduced battery life so search for genuine new battery prices before commuting to any purchase of a laptop.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom

I was reading on VCDS forum where people were recommending MS surface pro? I do like the idea it being thin and light??
Regards

Evening,

Here’s some eBay links for what has been mentioned so far:

2012 MacBook Pro 13”

ASU’s Eee Netbook

Thinkpad X200

Microsoft Surface Pro

Work out which option you’d prefer and conduct enquiries for the best bargain. There will be many other options of course, you could start your own search on the usual websites for any particular make/manufacturer.

Main thing with dated IT is reduced battery life so search for genuine new battery prices before commuting to any purchase of a laptop.

Kind regards,

Tom
The battery in my old HP was not lasting very long, but swapping the old hard drive for an ssd (solid state drive), improved the battery life, by using much less power. Doesn't need to be very large, as vcds is a pretty undemanding bit of software.
Mac.

I have had VCDS working on basically any computer since it is not HW intensive. I have used Surface 1 for years. I have used it on a Chinese laptop with some low spec Celeron processor without any problem.
Currently I use it on Macbook Pro 2017 with Bootcamp that has Windows 10 installed, which gives me enormous battery life.
If you are buying only for this, check the battery life if you will be mobile. That is the most problematic part with old laptops.
But if you can stretch to Macbook: that is really quality stuff. I have few other computers, but from buying this Macbook, I use it almost exclusivelly. If you buy newer Macbook, you will need quality USB-c to USB converter if you do not go for VCDS Wifi version.

What I did was to have vcds setup on a virtual machine then I could have it setup correctly with my “dodgy” version. I now have a fully licensed version so I just install it on whatever laptop I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What I did was to have vcds setup on a virtual machine then I could have it setup correctly with my “dodgy” version. I have a fully licensed version so I just install it on whatever laptop I have.

Licensed VCDS Lite will only work on the pc you nominated at sign up. You can make one change, in the event of pc failure.
No idea on other, non Lite versions.
Given that you can have the free version of VCDS on any pc, requiring a lead at under a tenner, why would you spend lots of pennies on a non VAG specific reader?
The free version will report every error on your A2.
Mac.

Full fat VCDS it is the cable itself that is the licence so it does not matter if you change computer. However the number of times it is used is stored in the cable so if you have the 3 or 10 VIN versions you can not reset it by switching to a different computer.

Reactions: mtl
Licensed VCDS Lite will only work on the pc you nominated at sign up. You can make one change, in the event of pc failure.
No idea on other, non Lite versions.
Given that you can have the free version of VCDS on any pc, requiring a lead at under a tenner, why would you spend lots of pennies on a non VAG specific reader?
The free version will report every error on your A2.
Mac.

Not if you run it on a Virtual machine… then you can use it on any machine

I guess that's not an option for most of us though.
Is it the "virtual machine" along with it's ID, that is portable?
Mac.

I guess that's not an option for most of us though.
Is it the "virtual machine" along with it's ID, that is portable?
Mac.

Yes. Either use hyper-v which is free with windows pro or virtual box which is also free.

I like VMware workstations but that is licensed.

I have had VCDS working on basically any computer since it is not HW intensive. I have used Surface 1 for years. I have used it on a Chinese laptop with some low spec Celeron processor without any problem.
Currently I use it on Macbook Pro 2017 with Bootcamp that has Windows 10 installed, which gives me enormous battery life.
If you are buying only for this, check the battery life if you will be mobile. That is the most problematic part with old laptops.
But if you can stretch to Macbook: that is really quality stuff. I have few other computers, but from buying this Macbook, I use it almost exclusivelly. If you buy newer Macbook, you will need quality USB-c to USB converter if you do not go for VCDS Wifi version.
Thanks mtl! Your talking big budget there buddy, I have an old MacBook Pro 2012, but it’s fairly heavy so was looking for a budget LT that’s slim and decent battery life. I blew my budget on the vcds as I bought the WiFi unlimited version.
Kind regards

Congrats, vcds is a really great tool.
Just install Bootcamp with Win10 on your Macbook and you are good to go :).
If you want to spend some money, buy whatever you want and it best suits you. Vcds is not HW intensive and it will run on any computer. Of course it needs to have USB port ;). Btw. I paid for my Macboox used 500 eur.

I do not understand why would anyone bother with virtual machine if using genuine VCDS. License is in the adapter and it does not care on how many computers you install vcds and use it. I have used my cable on at least 15 different computers without a single complication.
If I remember correctly this goes also for 3 or 10 VIN limited versions.

If you are talking about cloned versions, that is a different story. Usually they require internet access to be turned off, so they do not lock the cable. But mention this to avoid missunderstanding and confusion.

Last edited:
I do not understand why would anyone bother with virtual machine if using genuine VCDS. License is in the adapter and it does not care on how many computers you install vcds and use it. I have used my cable on at least 15 different computers without a single complication.

I believe that the advantage of using a virtual machine is for those people who have registered copies of VCDS-Lite. With VCDS-Lite, there is no official connecting cable, and certainly not one that contains licensed firmware. There is, however, a very tight restriction on the number of PCs a registered copy can be run on.

Reactions: mtl
Back