Volcanic tailgate

trufflestu

A2OC Donor
Can't believe I'm posting this.

Yesterday I had the fright of my life and didn't sleep very well last night as i'm still turning it over in my mind.

Went to a surprise birthday dinner last night. Parked my A2 up. About 10 minutes after being inside, there was a ring on the door bell and someone said your alarm is going off on your Audi. I went out and my initial thoughts were oh I'm left one of the doors ajar, had a look drivers side all looked ok, then went passenger side all ok, then made my way round the back to be confronted what I can only describe as a volcanic tailgate :eek:

The tailgate glass had shattered and was spitting splinters/shards of glass into the air, I had to take a 2nd look to make sure I was actually seeing what I thought. The edges around the screen except where the spoiler is was all crumbling and fizzing away like a dissolvable aspirin.

I rang auto-windscreens and they are trying to source a glass to replace it they are adamant that the spoiler comes off is this correct?

I then had to ring round to find someone with a garage for me to put it in and get out the trusted gaffa tape to stop the splintering of the edges.

I'll post some photos when I get chance

Wow that not good:eek: I have never heard of that happening before!

Auto windscreens are wrong the spoiler dose not come off! It is bonded on and comes with it attached from the factory.

I will call my mate a bit later who worked for them for a few years to get his opion and let you know what he thinks.

Cheers

David

Blimey had someone smashed it?
Spoiler is indeed bonded on at factory, replace as a whole unit.
The 1.6fsi spoiler is larger than on other models and imparts better aero, ie lower drag, get that fitted if you can!

Blimey had someone smashed it?
Spoiler is indeed bonded on at factory, replace as a whole unit.
The 1.6fsi spoiler is larger than on other models and imparts better aero, ie lower drag, get that fitted if you can!
agree 100%.

Let me add: The 1.6FSI or 1.2 TDI spoiler...
You also can go for fron wheel spoilers (only 30€)

I've heard of this, but not on A2's. A quick google throws up something on A3's (below) and similar occurences in other marques with a variety of causes reported from electrical short circuit causing temperture surge and the tensile strength of toughened glass causing a failure after a stone damages the edge where it is weakest.

The fizzing and poping at the edges sounds like electrical to me; but we maybe need some wisdom from an engineer or a physicist! Hope you get i sorted Ok, make sure the repairer gets all the fragments out the tailgate if any have managed to make it inside - the noise of the glass rattling about will be an irritant every time you open the boot. ( Well it would irritate me!:eek:)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55720

Last edited:
I just spoke to my mate who used to work for auto glass.
I asked if he had done rear windows for A2's he had and been caught out one christmas ended driving halfway around the country to find the right one lol

Apparently there are two types, the older ones were bolted on to the window and the new ones were bonded.

I dont know how easy it would be for you to have a look to see what you have got.

Cheers

David

From 1999-2005 the spoiler is always bonded and boltet to the window/frame).
There is a difference in color of glass!!
I think before and after 2004 but not sure.
One is more green and the other more gray/brown.

I just spoke to my mate who used to work for auto glass.
I asked if he had done rear windows for A2's he had and been caught out one christmas ended driving halfway around the country to find the right one lol

Apparently there are two types, the older ones were bolted on to the window and the new ones were bonded.

I dont know how easy it would be for you to have a look to see what you have got.

Cheers

David

Could of been me. Had mine changed around xmas, I think 2 years back and the guy had to go off and find the correct screen as the one he had was not correct.

The two types of screen had different electrical connections. You have one for the cars without the diversity attenna and then the other that has the four aerials in.

On the phone when I was arranging the new screen, they asked me if my car had factory GPS. I said no as it didnt.

When he turned up it had no connections for the diversity aerial, so he had to drive off for like 3 hours to go find one that did lol

John

As promised some photos.

They are apparently coming to do the screen today having had to get one in from Birmingham overnight.

qy7o5t.jpg

fb96rq.jpg

eulaw0.jpg

qodcf8.jpg

All done.

The guy took about 2 1/2 hours. He was very meticuolous, making sure he got all the glass out:)

Said he'd never seen one like it before, although his thoughts were something had impacted it although there was no obvious point of impact.

It came with the spoiler already bonded on so that was a potential headache overcome. Had to leave it to stand for an hour for the bonding agent to go off, I left it longer than that though just for my own well being

All done.

The guy took about 2 1/2 hours. He was very meticuolous, making sure he got all the glass out:)

Said he'd never seen one like it before, although his thoughts were something had impacted it although there was no obvious point of impact.

It came with the spoiler already bonded on so that was a potential headache overcome. Had to leave it to stand for an hour for the bonding agent to go off, I left it longer than that though just for my own well being

Excellent news mate.

Glad you got it sorted.

Regards

Mark

Back