VSI "problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmachin

Not long after bought my Y plate 1.4 Tdi (Feb 2003), I read on some Audi related site (can't remember the URL) that you could reset the service indicator (for A4 I think) by pressing the time and odometer buttons on the dash while starting the car up. Before doing this the car said 14,500 Miles to the next service. After doing this "procedure", the reading now displayed 9800 Miles!!

Oh dear...

After a few of visits to my local Audi garage (over a period of months) asking why my service interval had dropped so dramatically (I wasn't going to tell him what an idiot I had been), I insisted that they check it with their computer. 20 minutes later the engineer came back looking puzzled. He couldn't understand why the computer was on fixed service instead of variable. I asked him to put it back on variable, which he did (no charge). I asked him if this would cause a problem with how the onboard systems work out the mileage to next service as it had been on fixed for such a long time. He said that it wouldn't be a problem and that it would be adjusted to the current engine condition. I checked the display and it said 18,500.

I had my doubts as I would asume that the interval alters if you thrash the engine or do long/short journeys. All things which would cause the service interval to change.

Three months later and the display is showing 17,600 miles. Now I'm wondering if my little moment of stupidity has caused the VSI to be less than accurate. Should I take the reading at face value, or get the car serviced sooner?

The car had a full service on 14th Feb 2003 according to the details on "My Audi" on www.audi.co.uk. The car had done 18,500 miles and has just reached its 30,000 mile "birthday".

The moral of this story is a little bit of "knowledge" can be very dangerous...

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.[:I]

Thanks
Dave

2001 1.4 Tdi in Crystal Blue

Well.. I suspect the VSI calculation to be based on
- number of cold starts
- miles covered
- average trip mileage
- quality of oil measured
to name but a few.
Naturally, #4 remains the same but #1 and #2 are 'better' when the VSI is reset.. hence,
a higher mileage till next service. Just guessing.

Werner Huysegoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back