VW Touran

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really a question for Stuart, or anyone else who has driven or owned a Touran.

With baby no.2 due to appear in May its regrettably time to trade in the A2 for a bigger car with more boot space for all the buggies and prams etc, and the Touran is currently top of the short list of possiblities. I'd like to know any opinions of owning a Touran in day to day life, as a test drive can only give you a limited impression.

Pros and cons? Which engine would you recommend? Trim level? etc etc

Many thanks

James [24]

Not an answer to your question really, but have you looked at the SEAT Altea?

Steve - A couple of A2's, then a Corolla, now an Avensis T3-X 2.0 Auto

Hi James,

If you want a people carrier, the Touran is definitely worth considering. Not sure if you're looking at getting a new one or used but many people seem to think that it's overpriced. It's worth remembering that there are some really good ex-demo/low mileage used bargains to be had. I got our one for £12,500 and it was 10months old with 4,500 miles on it. For a few other deals, have a look at the used car list for the Touran at: http://www.windrush.co.uk/slough/ also the Volkswagen website has some on it.

I went for the SE model which is well specc'd and the only real missing is front fogs and climate control. But if you can live without them (you do get manual aircon in the SE), then the SE is the best value.

As for engines, I went for the 1.6 FSI. I would have preferred to have got the 2.0 TDI, but it was a little too expensive for me. However if your budget will allow it, I'd definitely go for the 2.0 TDi. The 1.6 FSI engine I got is powerful enough, it's just the economy is not the greatest and probably averages about 28-32mpg - and that's when the wife drives it! All the engines have variable servicing intervals which is great and can mean long intervals just as with the A2.

In terms of space and flexibility, the Touran is amazing and I have already had all the seats out and carried a double sofabed in the back of it. It's also been superb for people/luggage carrying.

My model is the 5 seat model and if you do go for the 7 seat model, the only problem is that there is no spare wheel. Also, you cannot upgrade to the 7 seat model if you change your mind at a later date. If you can live without a spare wheel, then I'd definitely go for the 7 seater version as you could leave the 2 extra seats folded flat and have a huge boot until you need them.

Another thing - VW will not fit parking sensors on the Touran unless they are specified on a new purchase. If you want these fitted on a used version (as I did), then Edworthy's will do a good job and can be done at your home or office. I also had my handfree phone kit fitted professionally and one good bit of news is that the mute wire is clearly labelled on the back of the Touran CD player and so can be fitted with your car kit if you have one.

Build quality has been very good, my only complaint is that there is a small plastic knocking sound coming from the boot area which I have never found the source of so it bothers me very occassionally. But other than that, it is feels like a strong solid car all the time and has suprisingly good handling.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Stuart.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart1.jpg[/img=left] Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator | Ex-A2 Owner (Now a VW Touran Owner!)

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray.
Visit the A2OC Website

Steve - Yes, I have considered the Altea as I like its individual styling (similar to the A2 in that respect) and I shall be giving it a test drive, but I fear its boot may be too small for our needs.

Stuart - Thanks for your excellent prompt reply. My budget probably won't stretch to a new model so I'll be looking at ex-demo's like yourself. Did you sell your A2 privately or did the VW dealer give you a good part-ex?

I part exchanged my A2...I've always had a personalised number plate which is probably my downfall as it's so much hassle to transfer it off a car in order to sell it privately and so by part exchanging, the dealer took car of the whole transfer for me. I reckon I probably lost about £1,000 off the value of the A2 by not selling it privately. They gave me £7,500.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart1.jpg[/img=left] Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator | Ex-A2 Owner (Now a VW Touran Owner!)

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray.
Visit the A2OC Website

How about the Grand Scenic from Renault ?? A collegue of mine is ordering one and it looked very nice.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Stuart - Which particular model of A2 was it you had and what age. If the photo's here are anything to go by, it was a little cracker. Shame I did'nt see it prior to buying my own. Still kicking myself that I did'nt buy a TDi. Have had one as a courtesy car from my local dealership and fell head over heels in love. Mine is in the garage at the moment awaiting a replacement anti-roll bar from Germany. Preston Audi insisted that we leave our car in their compound and make use of one of their courtesy cars for the ten day period it may take to arrive. I am now driving a six month old Audi A3 2.0 litre 6speed FSi sport. It's going to be really tough putting up with this until next week. Having to get used to the electric seats and cruise control. Life's a bitch!

I had a 2001 1.4 TDi. Had 36,000 miles on it when I part exchanged it in October 2004. Still miss it! - The Corolla is a good, reliable car but seriously dull compared to the A2. You may have gathered from that last statement that I don't get to drive the Touran much - my wife has decided that whilst she is waiting for the twins to arrive, she prefers the Touran to the Corolla and so I'm stuck with the latter for my commute to work!

Visit the A2OC Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back