Warning lights

Wombie

I wonder if anyone can help...

My 2001 1.4TDI has been beeping at me rather regularly recently, accompanied by the appearance of the 'power steering fault' warning light. There is no fault in the power steering that I can sense. Often if the engine is switched off and restarted the light disappears. If the engine is not restarted and the light is left illumined it tends to get replaced after a few miles by a flashing red exclamation mark accompanied by three beeps, plus traction control and ABS warning lights. Again the performance of the car seems normal, and if switched off and restarted the lights disappear (sometimes completely, and sometimes to be replaced by the power steering lamp).

The only other thing to report is that this morning, while descending a hill with all the above warning lights on, the rev-counter needle flicked down to 1000rpm a couple of times, but I am not sure (because the radio was on) if the revs of the engine actually did drop or if this is yet another electronic gremlin.

I am getting the car looked at early next week, but it would be really useful to know if anyone else has had just the same experience and, if so, what the problem turned out to be.

Thanks very much everyone!

I wonder if anyone can help...

My 2001 1.4TDI has been beeping at me rather regularly recently, accompanied by the appearance of the 'power steering fault' warning light. There is no fault in the power steering that I can sense. Often if the engine is switched off and restarted the light disappears. If the engine is not restarted and the light is left illumined it tends to get replaced after a few miles by a flashing red exclamation mark accompanied by three beeps, plus traction control and ABS warning lights. Again the performance of the car seems normal, and if switched off and restarted the lights disappear (sometimes completely, and sometimes to be replaced by the power steering lamp).

The only other thing to report is that this morning, while descending a hill with all the above warning lights on, the rev-counter needle flicked down to 1000rpm a couple of times, but I am not sure (because the radio was on) if the revs of the engine actually did drop or if this is yet another electronic gremlin.

I am getting the car looked at early next week, but it would be really useful to know if anyone else has had just the same experience and, if so, what the problem turned out to be.

Thanks very much everyone!

I had something similar a while back and it turned out to be a faulty steering angle sensor. This was replaced and a few months later, the power steering went as well, which was traced (eventually) down to moisture in the connectors.

As usual, a diagnostic scan would reveal more.

Cheers,

Mike

yes I can concur with what Skipton says, I had the same problem and symtoms and it was found to be the steering angle sensor. Not a cheap sensor to replace approx £270 including labour. Hope you have an Audi warranty and not a warranty direct policy as they wont pay as its not a listed item

Back