Warranty worth it for FSI?

Exe_Chris

Hi, I've just bought an FSI (53 reg) from a dealer, and it already comes with a 3 month full mechanical and electrical warranty, for claims individually up to £500. I have the option of extending this to 1 year with a £1000 claim limit for £200. I know these warranties exist to part people like me from their money, but it does seem like a reasonable price especially given the age of A2s nowadays.
Any thoughts on whether this is worth getting or not would be appreciated.

All warranties can be different Chris but if you have one i would read the small print very carefully regarding what it includes and excludes. On one occasion i had a warranty with a vw dealership and had a clutch problem. My warranty didn,t cover fair wear and tear - only defects. It wasn,t defective so i ended up paying out myself.

I do agree that its worth having a warranty on an Fsi with the problems that can develop and £200 seems a very reasonable if not average price price to pay. So yes - i would extend it if it is the correct cover and suits your needs.

Ta
Dave
:)

We had one for years with our FSI and thankfully we did ....6 months into ownership and the head went and a £2500 bill :( ( I think our part of the bill was £700, it didnt cover all of it but certaiinly the lions share.

However we recently stopped the warranty as they would only pay 50% of parts cost but still %100 labour costs but the limitations on what parts areas they covered was not great.

If you have recently had the belts done then your car will probably be ok.

2 weeks ago we had the water pump break so had that and the belts and pump replaced for £440 ...and considering the warranty for us would have been £300 - £350 for the year I felt ok with that especialy as it we would probably have only given back £200 ish.

I have had lots of disapointing experiences with these insurance type warranties.
When claiming I have had claims refused because of things like " the car had not been serviced according to the manufacturers recommendations" (because I used an independent and it didn't list all of the parts used or state if they were OEM) some policies are very specific.
Also on one claim they said that they didn't cover air con compressors. Etc etc

so as stated above read the small print and expect them to try to wriggle out of any claim.

In reality an insurance like this is a gamble, you are effectively betting that the car will break down, if you are right you win (some of the cost). If you are wrong, they get the money from the warranty cost.

But you may decide that the small amount is worth it "just in case".

Steve B

Last edited:
Like steve B, I have only bad experience as they usually rely on the smallest clause to wiggle out of paying up. After 10 years of saving up, I bought a used 911 and took the extended warranty with a certain leading warranty company whos front man States That there will be no weasel words.

Engine needed major work... They said it hadn't been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers schedule so no payment.

You may be lucky, but I wasn't!

In the end I went for it, hopefully I'll not need to find how good the warranty is but it is there in case. It seems nothing needs doing other than the front tyres being replaced (which I have booked in). Belt and pump were replaced (for the 2nd time) about 8k miles ago, new rear springs (not sure about front as they're harder to see, may look later), rear tyres are new, new windscreen, all electronics are working, engine sounds as it should etc etc.

Back