Washer bottle problem

Peter Markham

A2OC Donor
Hello all,
The washer siren came on so I went to fill the bottle up but it was full to the brim!
Strange I thought.
So I tried using the washer and it worked for about five washes but then ran out of fluid.
But the bottle is still full to the brim!
What's going on?
I am flummoxed.
Regards
Peter

Has the pipe broken? My other half's A2's washer stopped working. I realised that the motor had burnt out so I replaced that, and topped up the tank. Then when I pulled the lever the noise was there, but still no flow - and I found that there was washer fluid peeing down the bulkhead as the wee plastic pipe just behind the coolant expansion tank had split with the increased flow of the now fully working pump... bit of aquarium silicone pipe and a couple of cable ties later fixed it.

Can you hear it making a noise when you're activating it? If not have you checked fuse? Or could be debris got into the system blocking it or split/loose pipe as above

Thanks for your replies.
When there was water in the bottle it pumped spraying the screen. The filler is still full to the brim but the pump just runs not pumping water and the siren goes when the ignition is switched on. IE it is empty. There must be a total blockage somewhere but I cannot see where.
I will go and have another look.

Have you checked the vent pipe is not blocked. Air should also be able to get down the filler but once the filler is in the stowed position there may be less air getting in. Try with the service flap open and the filler in the fill position. If washers work then there is a blockage in the vent. More likely though is a build up of sludge caused by various "additives" being put into the washer reservoir over the years, you will need to flush out the system to clear the sludge. Washing up liquid is NOT suitable in the washers for this very reason.

Reactions: fhl
Removed the headlight and can see the power steering reservoir but the washer bottle is underneath that.
She is due for a service so I will let them fix the problem. I can't grovel around under cars anymore!
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Peter

Solved!
I had another look as audifan had suggested trying to flush out sludge in the system. I noticed there was a colourless jelly type stuff in the filter neck!
I took out the filter (did not know it came out) and washed it under the tap. I was totally blocked by this jelly. Must have grown there somehow, an algae of somesort?
This was the problem, hurrah!
Incidentally I always us a screen wash of some sort.
Thanks again chaps, great forum!
Peter

Back