Watch out if you’re in North Wales

Bargepower

A2OC Donor
A lot of the roads are surfaced with tar and chippings. Where the tar has melted, some councils are adding extra chippings to the melted patches. Unfortunately the chippings they’ve using are rather small. I’ve just spent a happy (not!) half hour in a lay-by with the front wheels off removing chippings from between the brake disks and the backplates. The tarred chippings stick to the tyres and are thrown off under the wheel arches and some make it into the gap twixt disk and backplate. It makes a most horrible noise, sounds like you’ve had a major brake/suspension failure!

I wonder if this is what's happened to the A6 at the moment - terrible sounds coming from brakes. Not had time to investigate it properly yet.

My Volvo C70 gets this from time to time, frightened the s*** out of me when it first happened! But now it's just stop, poke flat screwdriver through spokes to push backplate and release small stone, back in car and carry on.

Yes, I’ve had an occasional stone trapped before, but the size of these was much smaller than the normal surfacing stones. Offside must have had over 20 in there, all glued to the backplate with tar.

We have the same problem in North Yorkshire.
I won’t drive on it nor cycle on it. Brakes and paint gets messed up on cars and callipers, front forks and tyres get shredded on cycles.
Finding lots of alternative routes.

Back