Water Leak In Glove Box

swampy

Hi New Member Please Be Patient

Purchased A2 1.4 tdi (90) se
Drove home, climate control on and found the interior of the glove box to be very wet and the passenger side carpet.
It looked like it had been running down from the glove box to the floor.
There is an Ipod connection in there but the seal looks dry. It looked just like the base of the glove box.

ANY IDEAS, REALLY WOULD WELCOME ANY GOOD ADVICE.

THANKS

ALAN

there's a pipe running for the condensation from the climate control, and it escapes to the outside world behind the glovebox. Take the glovebox out (5 screws, 3 inside, 2 outside, one of the inside ones is hidden behind the coinholder) and check.

Bret

Glove box flooding!

Hi,
I had this problem the solution was found after removing the bonnet.
Under the bonnet are two rubber drainage plugs. Mine had got silted up. When it rained the water collected in the vent part of the bonnet and could not escape (I could look into the top grill/vent on the bonnet & see a pool of water) When driving from parked after heavy rain the tide came in so to speak and a wave came into the interior through the glove box and poured onto the passenger footwell, at times in biblical proportions!
The answer was to clean the two rubber drainage bungs on the underside of the bonnet which were full of mud/silt...
Always been fine since!"

I've a similar problem to this - not a wet glovebox but a passenger footwell carpet that has suddenly started to get wet (as of the last three days, i.e. no rain at all, hot humid weather). It is water rather than water/antifreeze or water/screenwash. I guess this all points strongly to it being aircon condensate.

I've tried to replicate the problem today (the hottest and most humid of the year so far) but without success. When it has happened before, the water seems to appear in a bit of a deluge, suggesting it is being caught somewhere and then going around a corner or up a hill it decamps into the footwell.

I'm a bit nervous considering all of the electronic goodies that lie beneath! The wet dog smell that has appeared today is not nice either.

Could somebody tell me where the condensate drains are in the car? Is this a problem anybody else is having or has had?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Wet carpet in passenger footwell

Hi - returning to this old post again as the problem has resurfaced: condensate from running A/C in this hot sticky weather. Just done a 25 mile trip and the carpets are saturated - must be about half a litre (and yes, it is condensate - not coolant or rain water).

Have pulled out the glovebox and can see more clearly now. The water is coming from the bottom of the pollen filter housing. Right next to the housing is a small plastic tube (hollow rigid spigot about 1cm long and 4mm dia) that is part of the main unit moulding. It looks like a drain tube should attach to it but there's nothing there.

Just wondered if anybody had any light to shed on this?

Cheers.

Bump! One year on after last year's fruitless request and it's happening again - A/C condensate in the passenger footwell appearing from the right hand side of the glovebox. The passengers now needs to wear wellies and don a life belt. Carpet is now permanently soaking wet.

Can anyone out there tell me where the condensate drain pipe is and the best way to unblock it?

Cheers.

I think you may find that the little rubber pipe that is supposed to be connected at the back of the heater rad area near the heater pipes, through the bulk head has come away as opposed to any blockages.

I will try to dig up some pictures to see if it is visible for you to get an idea where it is.

If you look at my 'How I rebuilt my A2' thread there may be some pictures there that might help.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much - appreciated.

Sarge,

Looking through your rebuild photos (incredible project btw - take a manly pat on the back!) is it the corrugated black rubber hose, bottom left of the heater / a/c connections in your photo No. CIMG4813 -2.jpg ?

Regards,

dilbert (aka John)

Thank you, No that is one of the two heater hoses, the top silver pipes are A/C pipes. I will look on the other pc for you later to see If I can see the drain pipe.

Cheers
Sarge

This the condensation pipe marked with yellow arrows :)

The dashboard is upside down :)

Cheers
Sarge

Attachments

• CIMG4858 -2.jpg
    CIMG4858 -2.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 704
Thanks - sorted now. The end of the drain where it passes through the bulkhead was solid with grot. What fooled me was that the drip was from the bottom of the pollen filter housing, which is the lowest point of the system and therefore where you would logically expect the drain to be connected.

Regards,

Dilbert

Back