Water

Brian L

I have a small water leak which will be solved on Tuesday in the garage. The question I have is where, after looking at the manual, do I fill the water. I can see a cupped hose on the nearside, is this it ?

IMG_20190712_125630072_HDR.jpg
20240401_012930.jpg

:) 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks rotifer, but this is for the heating system.
If it's not the windscreen washer circuit, do you believe that you are losing liquid from the system used for heating the cabin, or the one cooling the engine?

Both of these can be topped up by adding water with suitable (pink) G12/13 concentrate to the expansion vessel - but this needs to be done carefully.

To avoid the system getting confused, don't add coolant to the heating circuit as then Climatronic will blow only cold air. A common A2 issue that causes Climatronic to supply constant hot air is when heating fluid has been added to the coolant system.

p.s/ to anyone reading this in the future check the date.. there is an element of humour involved even if the posts are intended to be helpful to the original poster!

Last edited:
If it's not the windscreen washer circuit, do you believe that you are losing liquid from the system used for heating the cabin, or the one cooling the engine?

Both of these can be topped up by adding water with suitable (pink) G12/13 concentrate to the expansion vessel - but this needs to be done carefully.

To avoid the system getting confused, don't add coolant to the heating circuit as then Climatronic will blow only cold air. A common A2 issue that causes Climatronic to supply constant hot air is when heating fluid has been added to the coolant system.
Thanks for that Robin it's for heating the cabin. My garage told me to keep an eye out for the level but I couldn't find how to do it. The cars in the garage tomorrow and should be fixed. My knowledge for A2 grows daily thanks to the club members like you.

Thanks for that Robin it's for heating the cabin. My garage told me to keep an eye out for the level but I couldn't find how to do it. The cars in the garage tomorrow and should be fixed. My knowledge for A2 grows daily thanks to the club members like you.
the image supplied in post 3 above shows the expansion vessel used to fill the heating / cooling circuits. It is the off-white spheroid (top right of engine bay) with (usually) a blue screwcap on top - there is a gradation marked on the side (front) that shows the level that the liquid needs to reach for levels to be appropriate - this is approximately level with the equator of the vessel and the liquid should be pink in colour. If you can't see the coolant vessel when standing in front of the car it may be necessary to remove the bonnet and try again.

the image supplied in post 3 above shows the expansion vessel used to fill the heating / cooling circuits. It is the off-white spheroid (top right of engine bay) with (usually) a blue screwcap on top - there is a gradation marked on the side (front) that shows the level that the liquid needs to reach for levels to be appropriate - this is approximately level with the equator of the vessel and the liquid should be pink in colour. If you can't see the coolant vessel when standing in front of the car it may be necessary to remove the bonnet and try again.
I have seen it but I wouldn't touch it. DIY to me is Destroy it yourself. I can tell when it needs topping because the heating stops. Thanks to all for the advice.

Brian,
Please get someone to show you how to top up the coolant. By the time you notice the lack of warmth in the cabin, it's quite possible, likely even, that the engine has suffered serious damage. Very common expensive, maybe terminal for the car.
Mac

Hi @Brian L
I understand it's mixed up logic.
Why call something coolant when it's heating the cabin?

All the great suggestions made by A2oc members listed above will help you prolong your cars engine lifespan.

A low coolant level in an engine can cause overheating and this can lead to componant damage.

If the engine has been run the water in the tank becomes boiling hot. It also has some pressure build up in the tank enough to cause a small hiss when you open the lid. This is normal.

Pop some gloves on and use an old tea towel on top of the lid when you unscrew it the first couple of times you do this job. You'll soon become acostomed to what to expect.

Good luck

I have seen it but I wouldn't touch it. DIY to me is Destroy it yourself. I can tell when it needs topping because the heating stops. Thanks to all for the advice.
If you are averse to DIY then call out a Gas Safe engineer who can check the relevant system pressures and check that the pressure relief valve is not stuck!

It's got an interesting history April fools day
an old tradition.
French call it
Poisson d’avril and stick a paper fish on your back.

Fish swim in what this thread is named.

Neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's got an interesting history April fools day
an old tradition.
French call it
Poisson d’avril and stick a paper fish on you back.

Fish swim in what this thread is named.

Neat.
It's not an April fool, my neighbour, a mechanic has checked and rectified the coolant. SB52KEH will be in the garage at 0800 tomorrow morning to find the leak. Finally I once again thank all for the advice and I live and learn @the age 74 everyday.

It's not an April fool, my neighbour, a mechanic has checked and rectified the coolant. SB52KEH will be in the garage at 0800 tomorrow morning to find the leak. Finally I once again thank all for the advice and I live and learn @the age 74 everyday.
@Brian L - I was pretty certain that your post was serious but couldn't help inserting a little humour to my reply given the date I read it - thank you for taking it all in good cheer! Best of luck with the fix!

Actually, being serious for a minute, I also have a mild coolant leak on my Tdi that has resulted in pink crystals forming on top of the gearbox for the past few months and requiring a top up of coolant every so often. I now have all the replacement coolant pipes for the area under the fuel / vacuum tandem pump (the original did leak diesel 4 years ago and was replaced) including the metal L-shaped coolant pump return pipe as well as the thermostat housing, so that is going to be a good weekend job some time this summer.

p.s/ to anyone reading this in the future check the date.. there is an element of humour involved even if the posts are intended to be helpful to the original poster!
Hi rotifer

Many thanks for your help with the coolant system I think I have solved the problems, however I ask do you know the link for the gentleman in Germany who purchases parts for members. My garage tried to buy a part but was told that Audi shop doesn't ship to UK.

Back