We need help from all FSI drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas

You're not going to believe this ..BUT..

Our new A2 which we finally picked up last week has the SAME problem as the old A2.
:(
For those of you not in the loop....our old A2( bought in July 2002) started "whsitling" after about 2500 km. By whistling I mean that a whistling noise came from the petrol tank area after the car reached a certain temperature, was turned off and the fairly quickly restarted. Our dealer changed filters and pumps and God knows what else about 8 times before we finally said, enough is enough... the noise also got louder over time. ( Although it does disappear once you've driven for a while agian).
Anyway were delighted when we finally got all the paper work through and the car was taken back. We still decided to stay with the FSI and as I said picked it up 2 weeks ago. We have already driven 800 km with the new car and at the weekend had driven about 40km when we pulled up at a shop; dropped into buy something and was out again within a mx. of 5 minutes. Restarted the car and ...it started the exact same whistling noise out of the exact same area.
We're at our wits end...[29]

Please all FSI drivers can you please try out what I just described... drive 40 or so km, then stop for a couple of minutes and then restart the car.... and see what happens.[4][4][4][31][10][2][2][2][1][1]

Michelle&Thomas
from Ireland & Germany
1.6 FSI
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe16.htm

Thomas,

Sorry to hear that you've fallen foul of the same problem.

My bi-weekly commute, for the 6 months I've had my FSI, has included a stop to buy lunch at Taunton Deane services on the M5 - about 25-30 miles from my house: a reasonable approximation of your 40km, I guess. I'm afraid (or not) to say I've never heard a squeak out of it.

When you speak of whistling, do you mean an electronic whistling or something more mechanical? I'm just trying to think about what is different in the rear-quarters of the FSI compared to the other models - all I can come up with is the presence of rear disc-brakes and a different suspension(?) <wild, knows nothing about cars, speculation?> I wonder if it is something to do with brake temperature? </speculation>

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box
ERW | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Does the noise stop if you take the cap off the petrol tank? If so may be related to the tank breather, or lack of one.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

hi

I have only once ever heard this sort of noise on my car but it quickly disapeared, I thought that it came from the exhaust where there is a rubber join, or the fuel tank. I suggest that you try taking the petrol cap off when it makes this noise and see if it disapears?!

Let us know how you get on?

A2 1.6fsi sport climate cd amulet red

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your feedback.
The whistling noise/problem is a mechanical one.
We'll certainly have to try taking the cap off the petrol tank the next time we have it...see if that makes a difference.
Our dealer thinks this might be a good idea too...in the old car they changed the filter and pump to the petrol tank because they thought that the pressure must be building up there...none of it helped though.
Our dealer knows of a similar problem in Audi TDIs; but the problem there ie the filter.

Michelle&Thomas
from Ireland & Germany
1.6 FSI

Hallo Thomas,

ich komme auch aus Deutschland und bin neue hier

Gruß

DieselA2

Diesel A2 1,4TDI
Open Sky, BOSE, FIS, GRA, Leather

Hi Guys,

unfortunately we still haven't found any solution to thw "whsitling sound" coming from our A2. Our dealer now wants us to video it with a video camera which he can then send to Audi. WE should also start recording every time it happens: how full was the tank; how far had we driven etc etc.
Watch this space....

Michelle&Thomas
from Ireland & Germany
1.6 FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back