Webasto Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTV

Has anyone had their webasto heater converted so that it also warms the engine and not just the interior. I've seen photo's on the website showing a control unit, is it possible to switch it on with a timer.

Would appreciate any info....

2002 A2 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System - Silver - 225 TT ,Bose,6 Play, Cruise

RTV,

The diesel heater always heats the engine and through the engine it heats the interior.
Mine is converted to a stand-alone heater with a switch and even a remote.
It seems like a small thing but it involves the following:

The heater needs it's own fuel pump
The heater needs a waterpump to pump warm water through the engine
The heater needs to switch on the CC to warm the interior
And offcourse it needs a permanent 12volt supply.

Mine is converted by a webasto dealer. It is cheaper since the heater itself is already installed in the car and attached to the engine and coolantsystem. However it took the webastdealer two days (the A2 is a complicated little car, he said) to install the other items.

But it was worth the wait, I set the timer 20 minutes before I leave and the car is all nice and warm, the windows are clear and the engine is not entirely warm but warm enough.

Happiness is a warm Audi, i think...

I cannot tell you how much it cost, my A2 is a company car and we got a discount from webasto.

Good luck !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

what is the purpose of the factory fit unit and when does it work?
Does it only heat the engine?
Is it something that comes on when the engine is really cold in the winter?

[3]
Webasto cuts in below 6 degrees C and proceeds to warm the coolant nd hence the interior of the car. You can turn it off by pressing the Econ button.
You can hear it whine away when it is on and it provides gentle amusement in cold conditions by providing 'exhaust' at both ends of the car. The heater exhausts under the front offside!
[5]

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

For those of you that were at Castle Coombe while we were having the xenon debate, is the webasto the thing that is missing from my engine bay ?

The newer A2´s (I think starting from 10/2002 or thereabouts) don´t have the Webasto heater anymore. They only have an electric-powered heater that is far less powerful than the webasto fuel-powered one....
My A2 does not have it, either....:-(

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Hello from the not so sunny North. (Orkney) Are you serious about the lack of the webasto? This debate was on the site last winter and it was not mentioned about some a2's not having them fitted. We are just getting down to 3 to 6oc now but I have not been driving a2 much as partner has comindeered it so I havent noticed if its working or not (perhaps its not even there)[29].... I do think it will be necessary in colder conditions.[7]

1.4Tdi sport Merlot red beige leather,cruise,baby seat..

Ok so what does the new one look like and how effective is it on cold mornings!
We need to know!

There is nothing to look at as far as a I can make out, and it`s not particulary good on cold mornings.

I'd agree with Jon, the new one isn't much good at the best of times but in the recent colder weather it's poor to say the least. It takes considerably longer to warm up than other cars I've had.

In the mornings I have an 11 mile commute to work. If I leave the climate on say about 23 degrees the temperature needle does not climb to the normal running position until about 10 miles into the journey and there isn't much heat until a good 4-5 miles into the journey. If the climate is switched off the normal running temperature is reached about 7 miles into the journey, which is fine when the weather is milder because effectively the heater is off but recently it's been too cold to have the heater switched off. But what I've noticed is if you have the heater switched off and the normal running temperature is reached as indicated by the temperature needle, if you then switch the climate/heater on the needle drops before climbing back up again. This is only when the engine is, like I say, warming up and not when fuuly warmed up.

Hope this helps.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

What you are saying then is that on cold mornings (when the auxiliary heater cuts in below 6c) you switch the climate (and therefore the auxiliary heater [7]) off and the car warms up faster?
I think the Webasto was dropped because of its prodigious use of fuel. If I leave mine on on colder climate long runs the average consumprion increases to about 45 mpg. With it off 55 upwards is possible. Short winter runs consume even more fuel. I think emissions from the aux heater are an issue in some countries (Europe!)
I need to get to the bottom of this. I suspect Euro 4 is behind this.
Do other Audis use the webasto?
Iknow Rover did on the diesel 75 but I don't have current info.
Shaf can you reprint or e-mail me the relevant sections from your handbook. You know the A5 sized booky thing that comes with the car but most never read?
[35] [37]
;)

Mike, what I'm saying is if the climate is left on it takes ages for the engine (as indicated by the temperature needle on the dash)to warm up and initially there is no heat emitted by the heating system into the car. So, what I've noticed is that by leaving the climate off the engine warms up quicker and then, once the engine is warmed up, if the climate is switched on there is instant heat into the interior.

It's just something I've noticed with the A2 as most other car heaters blow warm air into the car within a mile or two.

To be honest I didn't know about the auxillary heater - I'll have to read the handbook. I'll get you a copy.

Cheers
Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

I have the webasto heater (fuel powered) and Ive been using it over the last couple of days, from what Ive noticed is the engine temp increases quicker and the heat from the CC is very good even over the short trip I make (8 miles), however if you switch the CC to ECON the engine temp falls quite quickly as does the heat from the CC even if set to HI..

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets

Shezlee,

Sure that makes sense. The powerplant doesn't produce enough heat to warm the interior in the cold.
There's a delicate heat balance under the hood where the heat produced by the engine minus the heat consumed from the driving wind is left for the interior. This explains why the temp gauge drops when standing still in traffic and why the car just won't heat up in cold weather.

I the Netherlands it's about 4 degrees centigrade below zero. When I start the car the Webast automatically kicks in, the engine is at operating temp in 5 minutes. When I switch CC to ECO the gauge starts to drop. It does this until it hoovers above 80 degrees centigrade where there is a balance between produced and consumed heat. I suspect that when the outside temp becomes lower so will the balance point.
I remember a story from a norwegian driver who's car didn't even reach 60 degrees.

This will become more of a problem since all modern diesels are highly economical and produce little waist heat.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Thanks Shaf, I would like to see what it says about the 'new' heater as i think my A3 will have one when it arrives.

Hi Mike,
I've had a chance to look at the handbook and this is what it says:

Supplementary heater.
Models with a turbo-diesel engine are equipped with a supplementary heater to help warm up the interior more quickly. At outside temperatures below about +5 degrees c the supplementary heater is switched on (and off) automatically when the engine is running, according to the coolant temperature.
In order to save fuel, the supplementary heater can be switched off by briefly pressing the ECON button of the air conditioner.

Hope this helps
Shaf

Shaf,

It's hard to decypher whether that describes the fuelpowered webasto or the electrical version.
My (unedicated) guess would be that it describes the fuel powered webasto heater. An electrical heater would consume fuel but that wouldn't be enough to worry about it.

But, we can easily determine what it is. Simply start the engine when it's below 5 degrees (the ice symbol in DIS would be on) and listen for noises under the hood. After a few minutes a whining noise with frequent ticks is heard. The whining is the ventilator that suplies air to the heater and the ticks are sprays of fuel being injected.
There is an exhaust under the hood that will emanate a petrol-burning smell. Hot air can be felt blowing out of the exhaust.
On my 2002 LHD A2, the exhaust is located somewhere directly below the left light. Just in front of the wheelarch.
If there's something buring fuel under the hood, you'd ought to smell and hear it !

Good luck !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Dennis, I think it is indeed the electrical version.

Regards
Shaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back