Weight from VIN plate

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
B8AFD275-0E02-4689-BCA5-9322B85C69F7.jpeg

Can anyone help with interpreting the info on my vin plate. It’s showing 745kg, and 1410kg. I’m guessing the 1410kg is the cars maximum weight it can carry, but is my car really only 745kg?

Hi Steve, from what I remember the weights are as follows top to bottom

Gross vehicle weight i.e. Maximum Allowable Mass including occupants, fuel and payload

Second blank This is normally the Gross Train Weight i.e figure above plus the trailer

Third value is the maximum axle load for the front

Fourth is the maximum axle load for the rear.

View attachment 103555
Can anyone help with interpreting the info on my vin plate. It’s showing 745kg, and 1410kg. I’m guessing the 1410kg is the cars maximum weight it can carry, but is my car really only 745kg?
Hi Steve, if this is similar to BMW VIN tag naming then first weight on the VIN is known as the Gross Vehicle Weight, ie the Maxiumum Allowable Mass (MAM) including occupants, fuel & payload, the entry 1- 0745kg maximum axle weight on the front and 2- 0740kg maximum axle weight on the rear. By the way the second figure on the Vin in not showing, traditionally this is the Maximum allowable mass of vehicle and trailer, but I guess A2's was not designed to have a trailer and hence not recorded (this has something to do with brake efficiency for combined weights) - most larger European cars will have this as second weight on the VIN following MAM. Hope this helps!

Thanks for confirming both. I’ll just take the 895kg that’s quoted in most media for the 1.4 AUA as my baseline.

I’m hoping to do some weight reduction to compensate for the bigger brakes I plan to fit, and the extra 25kg from the engine.

I think it’s going to be quite easy to save about 100kg in weight even with the mods, which would give the car a similar power to weight ratio as a S1 Lotus Elise.

Thanks for confirming both. I’ll just take the 895kg that’s quoted in most media for the 1.4 AUA as my baseline.

I’m hoping to do some weight reduction to compensate for the bigger brakes I plan to fit, and the extra 25kg from the engine.

I think it’s going to be quite easy to save about 100kg in weight even with the mods, which would give the car a similar power to weight ratio as a S1 Lotus Elise.
Hey Steve, if I may ask, would you be so kind as to start a thread listing all the weight loss stuff done? When you do get around to it of course.
Im also looking to lose as much weight as possible :)

Hey Steve, if I may ask, would you be so kind as to start a thread listing all the weight loss stuff done? When you do get around to it of course.
Im also looking to lose as much weight as possible :)

I haven't got a means for weighing the items removed, but yesterday I removed the headliner, carpets, all trim in the boot area, centre console, the glovebox and rear seats. It was a fair old amount of weight as the suspension is now sitting higher and having taken the car for a little run the acceleration difference and difference to the handling is noticeable.

It's a cost option, rather than a free one from removing something, but what about a lighter battery? I've noticed some lithium based ones that can save a bit of weight over lead acid.

It's a cost option, rather than a free one from removing something, but what about a lighter battery? I've noticed some lithium based ones that can save a bit of weight over lead acid.
Definitely something i'd consider. Have you seen anything suitable?

I'm also looking at some bucket seats for the front as each front seat is about 30kg which is a fair old weight.

I was looking as part of an ev conversion, so could save weight on the 12v system as not starting/turning an engine over. The Noco leisure/bike batteries would suit that but unlikely your application but where I got inspiration from.

Had a quick look earlier when I replied and saw one that was about c. 12kg lithium car battery over an 18kg standard one, but you're then into getting the right cranking amps and capacity, which needs more research than the quick google I did around weights :)

Back