Weitec woes...

alanm

A2OC Donor
I was well chuffed with my Koni FSDs and Weitec 30/30 upgrade until I went to N.Wales last week with a couple of mountain bikes on my 4 bike towball-mounted bike carrier.

Problem was that the rear mudflaps grounded a few times when negotiating some single track country lanes.

It's now clear I should have gone for a 30/00 spring setup so I've tried sourcing some Weitec rear springs that are the standard Audi oem length. However, all the Weitec suppliers in the UK I've spoken to tell me that Weitec only supply rears in a lowering version and that any Weitec spring kits that are supplied as 30/00 will comprise just a pair of front springs. They claim that, to keep the original rear ride height I need to fit standard Audi springs or source other aftermarket springs made to Audi oem dimensions.

Right now I'm well *issed off and it looks like I'll have to lash out for my original rear springs to be refitted - thank goodness the garage that did my suspension upgrade still have my original rear springs.

Based on my experience, I'd advise anyone going for the FSD + Weitec upgrade to keep your original rear ride height springs and get a pair of Weitec 30mm lowering springs for the front. With the Weitec 30/30 combo on my car the net reduction in ride height at the front worked out at 18mm and at the rear it was 45mm so that the stance of the car looked rather 'nose light'.

With the original rears refitted, the stance of the car should look more acceptable and the rear grounding issue be resolved.

That "sitting elk" appearance is very common with Koni FSD equipped A2s.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=76487#post76487

Where can I have the front Weitecs or front ABT or other make 30 mm front sport springs compressed professionally:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9568&page=12

As pointed out several times before, in case of Weitec 30/00 the “00“ just means stock rear Audi springs. So the Weitec 30/00 spring kit just contains the two Weitec front springs.

Conclusion:

All A2 drivers upgrading to Koni FSD shocks and at the same time setting high value on proper looks should have compressed their front sport springs.

Examples:
  • Weitec 30/30 + FSD in a 1.4 petrol: front springs compressed by 25 mm each
  • Weitec 30/30 + FSD in a 1.4 TDI or FSI: front springs compressed by 20 mm each
  • Weitec 30/00 + FSD in a 1.4 petrol: front springs compressed by 20 mm each
  • Weitec 30/00 + FSD in a 1.4 TDI or FSI: front springs compressed by 15 mm each
  • ABT 35/35 + FSD in a 1.4 petrol: front springs compressed by 25 mm each
  • ABT 35/35 + FSD in a 1.4 TDI or FSI: front springs compressed by 20 mm each

So the need for good ride comfort AND nice appearance asks for certain tricks ;)
Several German A2 folks already have used that high quality spring modding service.

P.S. In all above shown examples the front PUR bump stops have to be shortened by 30 mm. The rear bump stops have to be shortened only if a rear lowering is involved:

:)

Last edited:
Helpful, as always, Schnelletrecker.

All the sites advertising Weitec springs here in the UK display a picture containing both front and rear Weitec springs - leading the buyer to conclude that 4 springs will be supplied in the lengths indicated in the advert.

However, in the case of all UK adverts re. the supply of Weitec springs the following should be noted by any potential buyers:

1. When a Front/rear 30/30 spring combination is advertised the buyer is led to believe that 4 springs will be included. This is correct.

2. When a Front/rear 30/00 spring combination is advertised the buyer is led to believe that 4 springs will be included and that the rear pair will be the same length as the Audi oem springs with no lowering effect. WRONG - what will be supplied is a pair of 30mm lowering front springs but no rears.

So, caveat emptor!

Be careful with 4-bikes carriers. They are already really heavy (15-20 kg), and fully loaded with 4 bikes they can cause bending of the car chassis, because of the combination of weight + leverage effect. I don't know specifically in the case of the A2, but when I had the towbar fitted on our Freelander2, the guy told me he had already seen several cases of damages, and he strongly advised me against using those kind of large carriers.
I have a 4-bike carrier, but my bikes are rather (super)light.

Last edited:
Fbi

My carrier is an Atera Strada weighing in at 14.5kgs. I only ever carry 2 Cannondale bikes, each weighing 13kgs and make sure they are as close to the car as possible so that any leverage effect is minimal.

By the way, the grounding of the rear mud flaps also occurred with the Weitec minus 30mm rear springs even when the cycle carrier was not attached to the car.

did you not keep your rear springs Alan? have you tried ringing the garage on the off chance they still may have them ??
I went for the 30/00 and yes i only got the fronts at first i thought you got 4 new springs

Phil

Phil

"thank goodness the garage that did my suspension upgrade still have my original rear springs."

So the only bits I now need to get is another pair of rear bump stops. My originals were starting to perish.

Getting the rear suspension sorted on Friday, after which I'll have a pair of nearly new Weitec minus 30mm rear springs plus a pair of nearly new modified rear bump stops going spare. If anyone is interested in them just pm me an offer.

Well thats a bonus if nothing else, glad you are getting it all sorted now, just waiting on my bits (bolts, bump stops etc.....) they should be here in the morning then set to ordering FSD's probably be next month now just ordered a shed load of stuff so its looking likely next month unless i can sell some more wheels on Ebay (ford alloys).

Phil

I think replacing the rear springs is literally a 30 minute job with some compressors and both rear wheels in the air. Especially if they are lowering springs, they may even come out by hand, and then just compress and pop the old ones back in. Shouldn't cost much at all.

I am tempted to get a pair of Sport rears to try on mine. I like the ride, but don't really like the appearance. We'll see.

Cheers,

In hindsight i would also have stuck with stock spring length on the rears if only for the appearance issue. Ha sanyone experience of fitting ABT springs etc?

I think replacing the rear springs is literally a 30 minute job with some compressors and both rear wheels in the air. Especially if they are lowering springs, they may even come out by hand, and then just compress and pop the old ones back in. Shouldn't cost much at all.

I am tempted to get a pair of Sport rears to try on mine. I like the ride, but don't really like the appearance. We'll see.

Cheers,

There is no sport rear springs they are the same for SE as Sport

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9734

post number 7

Phil

Don't like contradicting Phil, but there is such a thing as a Sport rear spring (genuine Audi part that is).

The Sport is 10mm lower than the SE or basic spring - I have retained the Sport rears along with the Weitec -30mm at the front on Tank and visually, it is just about spot on.

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry Mike its just i asked the question and got the SE and Sport are one and the same:confused:, i did think the sport had a -10mm lower, is there any difference in compression or is it just height ??, but then after 70K on the SE springs they have probably dropped 10mm lol

Thanks for that Mike, heres the tread i posted

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9976

Phil

I think me and Schnelletrecker must have got our wires crossed somewhere or it was lost in translation, i also posted about the spidan springs which is where the part numbers are the same for all the rear springs

Last edited:
No need to apologise - I think that some confusion has arisen on that other thread around Audi original springs, Weitec springs and bumpstop lengths.

You are right too - after a good few thousand miles, the SEs will have settled to around the same height as the Sports (which in turn will have settled lower).

Cheers,

Mike

Back