what’s this green bottle?

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
Just about to sort out my broken washer bottle and have removed the near side wheel arch cover.
There is a green bottle which is below minimum.

What does it do?

8D4E52CC-F033-4B4C-9D52-5A5F08530D39.jpeg

Jinx. Was just about to write that.
Just top it up, or is it more involved?
TPS is nearby me so I can pop in and get the fluid, unless Halfords or other do what I need?

Cheers in advance.

Looks like PS fluid to me. Useful to know you can get to it without taking the headlight assembly out. I usually vac pump it from above.

That's just gone on my things to do list.

I had to remove the bumper to get our washer bottle out, do you have plans for the same?

Jinx. Was just about to write that.
Just top it up, or is it more involved?
TPS is nearby me so I can pop in and get the fluid, unless Halfords or other do what I need?

Cheers in advance.

I like to have clean fluid in my power steering so having got such good access I would drain it and replace it. If it came out dirty I'd flush some fresh through and do it all again. Makes for nice quite smooth steering and hopefully it will all last much longer.

If you are not hat way inclined just top up.

Is there a how to on draining and replacing the power steering fluid. If not I think I’ll just top up for now.

Not possible (with my tools) to move the power steering bottle out of the way for the last bolt on the washer bottle. So it’s a front bumper off situ.

I tell a lie. It is possible to remove the washer bottle without having to remove the front bumper.

It’s fiddle but I did it so it it possible.

57B7F3B3-7C2F-42F7-8EF1-8D33525E0A48.jpeg

first bolt
06BB398B-5ED8-4983-8C60-77F5DE82D89B.jpeg

second bolt is behind the Power Steering bottle and although it has a torx hole it is also an oridinary bolt 12.5 - 13mm.

C9BD4418-9D74-4FB8-9104-15096B9A2ACF.jpeg

So I used a pair of mole grips and a 13 mm spammer and turned the bolt a tiny bit at a time. It eventually came out.
Putting back in might be tricky.

E4019529-F87A-447F-870D-092D0FD7775A.jpeg

The cracked washer bottle. Ready for the bin.

there are a few different washer bottles, if you have one without the level sensor it is possible to drill a 20mm hole and silicone the sensor in place.

Very pleased with myself in getting the replacement washer bottle in place I decided to fill it up to test it.

Water started pouring out of the bottom, a quick dismantle revealed a difference in my original bottle.

Hmmm.

The new one has a hole with a rubber grommet in it.
Eh?
78568DE9-C5A5-4480-AD64-9C9843019252.jpeg

Yeah, that's for the level sensor. I assume you do not have the sensor? Just plug it if that's the case, or go buy a level sensor and put it in place just to fill the hole, they are only about £7.

just put a cork in it with some silicone?
I had considered that, but I am part the way now to a DIS retrofit/replacement so it may be advantageous to have it there if or when that ever happens.

Plus any other option I considered was also time spent finding the right part and then getting some silicon or other epoxy. By the time I’d done that I would be half way there to buying the correct Audi part.

A plumbers merchant might have been my best option but as I needed to go to TPS anyway for other parts it was easier to get it all in one place.

Back