What am i doing wrong

Jashper

OMG ..... a work related trip to Southampton yesterday .. 65 mile each way on the M3 always in top and never over 3000rpm .. and the trip finally shows an average of 47.2 mpg .....!!

How the F... are you guys getting 60mpg++ ??? :confused:

I haven't got a clue

In the last couple of weeks i have been doing 4 mile journey's twice a day and i'm gutted that i'm only getting 60 mpg, its usually 65 plus. The only difference is mine is the 75 TDI sport and i have a K&N filter (which make zero diff)

When was it last serviced? (although i can't see it getting that bad even if its never been serviced)

i got 40 MPG out of a V5 turbo Audi TT (according to the trip)

Sorry mate can't help, but at least i given you a ref point if you need to go to Audi

Emm:)

Hi Jashper
I find that the key to good fuel economy is cruising on a steady throttle. If traffic conditions don't allow and your always on an off the gas then economy really suffers. Speed is also relavant - one of the old Audi Magazines quoted a test track figure of 30mpg at a steady 100mph!
Personally, I usually stick within 5mph of the 60 and 70mph speed limits and average 60 mpg in summer and 55mpg in winter.

Cheers Spike

Jashper said:
OMG ..... a work related trip to Southampton yesterday .. 65 mile each way on the M3 always in top and never over 3000rpm .. and the trip finally shows an average of 47.2 mpg .....!!

How the F... are you guys getting 60mpg++ ??? :confused:

Isn't 'never over 3000rpm' the same as 80mph+, I would thing that is your problem, I have found that in my 75 TDI every 10mph in speed equals 10mpg more in consumption, proven year before last chasing a mate down to Portsmouth overnight, he left Holmes Chapel at 12:00 midnight, I left Manchester at 2:00am, I caught him at 5:30am just outside Southampton, result average speed 70mph consumption 50mpg, returning with more load (it was the beer & wine from France) average speed 60mph consumption 60mpg!!

I have a '52 Tdi Sport and I do about 6 miles most days to work and back. This way I average 47mpg and about 28mph! I go on a long trip and it goes up to anywhere between 55-62 and I am a bit heavy right footed!

To be honest, I reallly don't give a stuff, wouldn't change Alfie anyway!

Fuel

When I first got my A2 tdi 75 bhp I drove at around th e75-80 mph on the motorway and got about 49-55 mpg,Now that I am not as heavy footed and have reduced my speed by 10 mph I have noticed a big difference but I also agree that fill it to the brim wait till fuel light comes on and brim it again and do the math

Shock news ....

After some decent runs (not m-way) and a mix of round town journeys .. albeit driving like a puff ... i'm actually seeing avg of 49.3mpg on the DIS !!! :rolleyes:

cant tell you mpg but i got 265 miles to £20, well chuffed with that as i only get about 100 miles in my almera gti

fuel

Well my A2 tdi is improveing on the mpg I done 439 miles and it cost £28.82 its about 500 miles away from 40k

We;re getting about 50mpgout of our 1.4Tdi, mainly very short journeys up to2 miles...much better than the Tiv

just to make every1 fell a lot better iv just sold my honda civic type r due to being very thirsty and vrought me an a2tdi90. i worked the mpg out on the ctr, and driving sensibly (only booted it once) i got about 24mpg:eek: :eek: so 55-60mpg is nothing to worry about.!

Just filled up the TVR - top to top - 45 litres - 123 miles - 12mpg!
I know someone who can get his down to 7mpg; if he really tries

I own a Honda Civic Type R and I get about 22mpg!!! The A2 is my wife’s who gets a much more respectable 40mpg on a good day. I get quite jealous when I look at the DIS!!

Have u checked ur tyre pressure? If they are to low this makes a great deal of difference. Also are u carrying to much weight in the car?

Hi

Jashper said:
always in top and never over 3000rpm .. and the trip finally shows an average of 47.2 mpg .....!! How ... are you guys getting 60mpg++ ??? :confused:

I see you have a TDi90 so I guess that may be part of the reason, though as the cc is the same as the 75 that may only impact if you accelerate hard.

Over a whole year and about 11k miles I got 62 mpg but most of my driving is A roads and from memory the revs are around 2,100 [corrected] at about a typical 60 mph. I find on the motorways I have to push the accelerator quite hard down to get past 60 up to 75, though one can ease off then.

Given the congested roads in most of the UK it's pointless to drive hard or increase risk by overtaking. Invariably the guy who drives hard overtakes you then at the next roundabout or traffic signals he's just a few yards ahead in the queue! If I see a queue way ahead I lift off the gas and find that the A2 is very good at coasting, seems to take ages to lose speed. Aren't the tyres supposed to be low friction?

Last edited:
I've only had my A2 for about 5 weeks and I seem to be getting about 55 mpg up to about 60 mpg, depending upon journeys. I do about 30 to 40 miles per day in varying length journeys, all on minor roads, and personally I'm pleased....and so is my husband!!:cool: (last vehicle was shogun sport - approx 25mpg!). I havent had a long motorway journey yet, but very interested to find out what mpg is then.:eek:

Hi Debb, welcome to the A20c. We are a bit thin on the ground up here so it's great to see new members joining the club, especially when they are from the nort east.

Cheers Spike

Only had mine a few days (Sport 90) and am seeing 54mpg around town, to work etc average trip about 20 miles. Short trips you'll see much worse consumption as the engine isn't up to temp. On the motorway I'm getting 65mpg at 70mph. Pretty happy with that.

At £1/litre getting 300 miles to £15 if careful. Worst case is 70mpg if travelling rather more swiftly or 60 mpg on a German Autobahn at top speeds.

Back