What constitutes a GENUINE Colour Storm?

sciroccorrado

A2OC Donor
Following on from enquiries and a lot of questions, plus a lot of cars appearing on AutoTrader et al purporting to be Colour Storm models, I thought I would create a thread to try to help people identify what pointers to look for if they want a Genuine Colour Storm model.

audi-a2-colour-storm-miss-rodeo-print-318102-adeevee.jpg

I'm sure I will make a few mistakes in this initial post, so please bear with me and help me fill in the gaps.

Introduced in 2003 model year the Colour Storms were a special model of A2, launched by Audi in a variety of eye catching colours to attract the younger audience.

Colour

The cars only came in 5 different colours:
From June 2003
  • Sprint Blue (Colour code LZ5F - L1P9 black trim)
  • Blue Colour Storm.jpg
  • Misano Red (Colour code LZ3M - L1P9 Black trim)
  • DSC00615.JPG

• Imola Yellow (Colour code LY1C - L1P9 Black trim))
  • IMG_20190507_132355.jpg
From 2004?
  • Avus Silver (Colour code LY7W - L1P9 Black trim) - Rare in UK
    IMG_20190730_192256.jpg
  • Papaya Orange (Colour code LY2B - L1P9 Black trim) - Very rare in UK
  • Papaya Colour Storm.jpg

Exterior trim

The cars had the following in matte black
  • wheel arches
  • wing mirrors
  • bumper inserts
  • Roof
  • Service flap (non slatted type)
Interior

The seats are usually in a colour coded inner and black bolster cloth trim, with SE style bolsters - ie Yellow cars had yellow/black seats, blue cars blue black etc.. The exception being Silver cars which seem to have Blue/Black combination.

Other options vary wildly, and you could pretty much pick anything from the option list. So, Symphony 6CD Player, BOSE, Multi-Function Steering wheel, fog lights, Votex body kit, OSS etc.

A considerable number of "genuine" storms have had their interiors upgraded to leather, so just because it doesn't have the interior NOW doesn't necessarily mean it's not a genuine Storm.

Options

Other than the colour choices, it's hard to pin down exactly what constitutes a genuine Storm. Most have Climate Control.

Engines
Available with any engine, although the earlier 1.4 Petrol was replaced prior to Colour Storm introduction.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Papaya colour, with its matching seats. There is still (at least) one in the country, formerly owned by @mrbroons.

On the continent there was also a champagne-coloured Storm (or almond-coloured if you prefer since its German name is apparently Mandelbeige). Don't think any of those made it over here in RHD though. In fact, trying to follow a thread on the German forum, from what I can make out they were very rare even there.

Not really relevant to UK models, but from talking to @Phoenix at AITP, the Colour Storm option was not available on the 1.2TDI. I suspect because of the lightweight seats, which are a slightly different shape and therefore have different covers. Storm version covers for them would have been too low a volume to be worth making.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Papaya colour. There is still (at least) one in the country!
On the continent there was also a champagne-coloured Storm (or almond-coloured if you prefer since its German name is apparently Mandelbeige). Don't think any of those made it over here in RHD though.

Thanks Ian, I was just updating the original post as you posted.

There are two genuine yellow Storms I know of which have had their black door mirrors repainted in colour. I'm buying one of them :) The other one is now with @wills. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more as it's a very effective change. Not aware of any for the other colours though.

Last edited:
There are two genuine yellow Storms I know of which have had their black door mirrors repainted in colour. I'm buying one of them :) The other one is now with @wills. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more as it's a very effective change. Not aware of any for the other colours though.

As has been pointed out by @damadgeruk for any kind of definitive point you need to be looking at the original "Options" list on the sticker. Wing mirror caps are a fairly cheap update, so probably fine to discount this as being derivate. Plus, they are things that are a subjective taste thing. My Silver CS90 has black leather seats and a slatted bonnet flap at the moment, and notice that pretty much all of the above examples have different wheels.

Here's the colour codes Jeremy

Imola Yellow LY1C

Misano Red pearl effect Lz3M

Papaya Orange LY2B

Silver sea light metallic LY7W

Sprint blue pearl effect LZ5F

It occurs to me, since all Colour Storm seats are SE-spec ...

Presumably the Colour Storm option was never offered for the Sport specification? Or was it done with Storm seats replacing the Sport seats?

Working on the assumption that a 'Storm Sport' was never available, I am led to believe that if you optioned the Sport wheels on an SE from new you got the -10mm lower suspension. But to get as close to Sport spec as possible with a Storm you'd need to have optioned the DIS also. As for the electric lumbar support, I don't imagine that's impossible as you could option it in SE seats, but I've never seen a photo of CS front seats with lumbar switches.

It occurs to me, since all Colour Storm seats are SE-spec ...

Presumably the Colour Storm option was never offered for the Sport specification? Or was it done with Storm seats replacing the Sport seats?

Working on the assumption that a 'Storm Sport' was never available, I am led to believe that if you optioned the Sport wheels on an SE from new you got the -10mm lower suspension. But to get as close to Sport spec as possible with a Storm you'd need to have optioned the DIS also. As for the electric lumbar support, I don't imagine that's impossible as you could option it in SE seats, but I've never seen a photo of CS front seats with lumbar switches.

To be honest, this is why I've left the "options" list open. My Silver CS has full DIS. All the CS's I've owned had the false floor and proper spare wheel, together with fog lights, but that's only my experience from a cohort of three cars.

Anybody got a CS sales brochure?

Tony might know more about our storm spec (though I would say that @a2sumo is the person who knows everything about that car). However, I found the link that you guys might already know about (AudiA2 Museum). It's mostly in German, but it's easy to translate each page with google translator.
Just looked for mandelbeige storm, it is an interesting colour.
Tam

mandelbeige a2.jpg

The A2 museum is pretty authoritative on this kind of thing, but the documentation is only ever as good as that which was provided by Audi.

My understanding is that color.storm seats were only ever non-.sport ones.

Early storms cars have the flat matt black grille, making it the rarest of all.

- Bret

So do I assume that Colour Storm cars are registered as the base model eg. 1.4 SE, TDi, and its only the options that give them the Colour Storm tittle.........none were registered as Colour Storm by the dealer

So do I assume that Colour Storm cars are registered as the base model eg. 1.4 SE, TDi, and its only the options that give them the Colour Storm tittle.........none were registered as Colour Storm by the dealer

Colour storm was optional equipment that could be added to STD or SE spec - as can be seen in the brochure found here, so I believer this is why you won't find them registered as 'Colour Storm' since essentially the colour storm was selected as an option once you had decided on a STD or SE car. The brochure suggests that you could not spec a colour storm against a sport.

Colour storm was optional equipment that could be added to STD or SE spec - as can be seen in the brochure found here, so I believer this is why you won't find them registered as 'Colour Storm' since essentially the colour storm was selected as an option once you had decided on a STD or SE car. The brochure suggests that you could not spec a colour storm against a sport.

Ah, indeed - this is borne out by an Auto Express review from Aug 2003...

It would be a brave move to order your new A2 with the Colour Storm package, but the car will definitely get you noticed. While it's worth taking advantage of the free servicing deal on offer, there are no other financial incentives to choose this Audi.

Back