What have audi done to my A2?

soluble

Hello All,
Over the last few months I have been a regular visitor to my local Audi dealer with my 02 reg A2 1.4SE. It started with the engine/emissions warning light coming on. Audi could not find a fault, reset the light & returned the car. A couple of weeks later, on a 250mile drive the car lost all engine power for a second travelling at about 65mph (rev counter dropped to zero, car juddered) & then came back to life. This happened a couple of time,

so back to Audi - This time they said I had an air leak in the engine, but not sure where (they said they knew someone who had experienced this at another dearkership) a week later they said there was a microscopic hole in the inlet manifold & that this would need to be replaced at £620!

Unconvinced, I had the inlet manifold replaced. 100 miles after leaving the dealership the warning light came on again...

Back again to Audi, in fact 2 visits to be told there was no problem. Then on the 3rd visit with the warning light on again Audi told me they think the injectors are at fault. They have fitted these new injectors and given the car back to me at no initial charge so I can test it & see if the warning light comes on again (they will be charging for this at some point, but won't tell me how much yet!)

The car has now lost all of its responsiveness in the engine, before in low gear I could pull away fast if needed, now it just pulls away very slowly, at higher speeds the engine is working far too hard - at 70mph the rev counter is at 3400 & at 80mph the counter is at 3600mph I dare not go any higher incase the thing blows up, it sounds awful. My mpg has dropped drastically to about 34mpg from around 55mpg.

Sorry about the long post, I'm at the end of my tether. Can anyone suggest what is going on? The car is going back to Audi tomorrow for them to look at it again!

Before this I was really enjoying my A2, but now its driving me mad.

Many Thanks, Soluble

I can't really speculate as to what your troubles are being caused by, but if I were you, I'd be on to Audi UK by now and wanting answers as to why this dealership is seemingly incompetant when it comes to fixing your car.

Cheers,

Mike

Had a similar sounding fault on my BMW M3 - turned out to be moisture in the ECU, I don't know where this is on an A2 but may be worth checking that its not got damp from those cursed pressure washers that dealers use to scrub cars clean.

The engine management light has been on for months now on my 1.6fsi sport. It went into Audi today and they couldn't find any fault so have recomended a new ECU @ £760!!! I have had an indepandant look at it and they have come to the same conclusion, so it is going to be booked in this week!

Lets hope this works as we are running out of options!!

Thanks for all the replies, I'll mention the ECU tomorrow when it goes it - don't like the sound of the price though!

I'm going to give my dealer this last chance to sort this once & for all, failing that I'll take the advice to contact audi UK.

Soluble

Moisture or other contaminants in the engine ECU is absolutely not an issue with the A2 - the engine ECU is in a dry, clean, watertight compartment below the passenger footwell.

I can't believe that they haven't tested this component yet as part of their problem solving.

Best of British to you.

Cheers,

Mike

I'm pretty sure Audi have looked at everything, the car has been in so many times. The last time I went in they showed me the reams of printouts from all of the diagnostic checks, they had the car for a week.

Soluble

soluble said:
I'm pretty sure Audi have looked at everything, the car has been in so many times. The last time I went in they showed me the reams of printouts from all of the diagnostic checks, they had the car for a week.

Soluble
Which is why you should get Audi UK involved - mechanicking isn't just about reading a computer print-out, but about knowing the ins and outs of a car and what the likely cause is. If they start out with the obvious stuff and it doesn't work, then they can move on to the less obvious.

However, you shouldn't be paying for work being done to your car which doesn't fix your problem and this needs to be pointed out to both the dealer and Audi UK - you wouldn't pay a dentist if you went in with toothache and he gave you a scale and polish!

I've had experience of a dealer not fixing my problem (power steering or lack of it) after having had the car for nearly 4 weeks over 4 separate occasions. Fortunately, Tank (my car) is in warranty, so I didn't have to shell out, but if the warranty had expired, they would have asked me to stump up. They tried fuses and god knows what else before they tried the obvious - the power steering controller.

Guess what - it turned out to have contact corrrosion on its terminals which is what was causing the fault. Why didn't they try it first then? Beats me!

Keep pushing for a satisfactory conclusion and get Audi UK involved - it was only after I got them onto my case that the dealer pulled out all the stops and I ended up getting a bit of compensation into the bargain.

Cheers,

Mike

Unfortunately it seems that Audi (my dealership) have this diagnostic theory of changing every component until they get it right!!! and they have been quite open to me about this when I pointed out the suspension noise. After changing both the suspension mountings (=two days of me dropping/collecting the car=time=£££'s)
They still have not resolved the noise.

So, back in again for them to change another component (fingers crossed diagnosis) that may resolve the problem.

I think Skiptons post would be worth pursuing, let them know that you are contacting Audi UK (and why stop there, I have contacted Audi Gmbh in the past!) to get their response.

Doctor

My wife has called Audi UK this morning and is off to the dealer now as they want the dealer to call Audi UK. I don't feel that an ECU should only last 28,000 miles or 4 years!!

It will be interesting to see how far we get, its the last thing we need considering our first baby is due in a week!!!

I had the engine management light coming on for ages near the beginning of the year. Mine is an 02 1.4se too. I had the throttle body cleaned and the inlet manifold pressure sensor changed. I had the water pump and timing belt done at the same time cos the coolant light kept coming on. Hasn't come up in over 5 months. :D Total cost for all this, £200. :cool:Mind you, i had to contact [email protected] to get them moving.

OK Redders,

PRIORITIES!

Look after your wife and yourself, forget about car issues at the moment;)

Hope things go well, I am sure the posters on the site can help once you have experienced fatherhood:)

Doctor

Thanks Doctor you are 100% right, to top it all off the front windows have now stopped going up and down with one touch!! I have never had a car with so many problems!!!

Redders said:
Thanks Doctor you are 100% right, to top it all off the front windows have now stopped going up and down with one touch!! I have never had a car with so many problems!!!
This is an easy one to fix - put the window down by about an inch or so, then pull the switch to raise the window and then when it's shut, release and then re-pull the switch and hold for about 5 seconds. Do this separately for each window.

This happens whenever the battery is disconnected and should normally be re-set by the dealer - sounds like you are getting some truly shoddy treatment!.

Cheers,

Mike

This reminds me of days with our Aclass:eek:

We left the car at stansted (with the interior light on after arriving in the dark and searching for something). We returned to a flat battery, the AA man recharged to get us going, I lowered the window to pay for the carpark and it would not return up!!!!
We had to drive home (fortunately a sunny day) with the window down...Brrrrr after a week in warm sunny greece!

Doctor

Redders said:
Thanks Mike, my Wife just gave that a go and it worked like a dream!

David
No worries, but as I said, this should have been done by the workshop and not by you. It all points toward a sloppy approach to me!

Cheers,

Mike

Back