What is the typical A2 owner like?

cogarch

As the saying goes, on the Internet no-one knows you're a dog. And apart from our avatars we are all pretty invisible here too. We probably all have stereotypical images of BMW or SUV owners, for instance. But what is the typical A2 owner like? Are we all a bunch of anoraks, girls-about-town or suave designer types? Is there such a thing as an A2 subculture -- or even more than one? I speak as a fifty-something web professional, itself something of an oxymoron...

You've hit on something there - that's the beauty of the A2OC for me - there isn't a stereotype!

I have probably met more members than anyone else on the forums, due to carrying out work and such like and I have to say that we range from the very young (17-ish) to the other side of 70!

All classes and backgrounds are represented too, from professionals to the unemployed (soon to be me again!) and all points in between. We really are a diverse bunch and just about the only trend you'll see is that male owners tend to outnumber the female owners (at least the ones who post on here!).

Cheers,

Mike

... same thing over on the German forums, there's an awful lot of backgrounds, though there there is a tendency towards IT and Design-related stuff.

Such is life...

Bret

Just to add to what Mike has put it looks like the average is between 35-45, My wife would say we are anoraks or nerds she just doesn't get it lol

Phil

I'm also into my Triumph TR7, and regularly attend Triumph gatherings, etc. together with my neighbour who has two Triumphs. Our daughters call us "geeks", but we have another neighbour who's into his tractor, which regularly gets paraded up and down our street - now THAT'S what I call a geek!:)

Ecology freaks that may be another group of A2 owners. Because of aluminum body, economy and it runs perfectly with biodiesel (forget about Toyota Prius). This could be my case :) .

Nice idea for a thread! I think Mike's comment on the male:female ratio is a good one, but my wife is just as smitten with the A2 as me, infact she gets to drive it most of the time! She just doesn't get why we all post things about HID's and FSD's etc!

But she does undertand that all the recommendations found here have worked out great, esp the Skipton cruise :cool: :D

David

I think you'll find A2 owners generally appreciates design and quality more so than specs/numbers on paper. Or we would all be driving cheaper small cars. I would guess the early adopters could also be generally understated, like what Audi used to be. Otherwise, would have bought the 3 pointed star for the badge!

re: David. My wife unfortunately doesn't like the A2 because the ride is so harsh even after having FSD, and 195/50 tyres! Neither does she like driving it, but that's probably because it is not an auto... ;-)

My wife unfortunately doesn't like the A2 because the ride is so harsh even after having FSD, and 195/50 tyres! Neither does she like driving it, but that's probably because it is not an auto... ;-)

All the better because YOU get to drive and enjoy even more so! ;)

Cheers

SARGE

A2 owner

:) i like to think my a2 ( stitch is his name ) represents me very well, except i am female. He looks great, stands out in a crowd, is reliable ( even with his little quirks ) expensive to maintain
( now getting on the wrong side of 40 and trust me youth serum does'nt come cheap ) we both would not succumb to improving our body work , we like it just as it is. Lol

to sum up purrrrrfection ( well stitch is anyway)

GLEAMING BLACK OPENSKY

Theres a thread entiltled 'Who are we' that includes many stalwarts and newbies alike. Good fun reading.:) Theres defo no stereotypical A2 owner out there. Although I think we are an intelligent and highly decent lot!!!!

There are more men than women as stated, although I think theres a few like me.... The A2 is actually the wifes car but we hijack the car for the love of the alumimium gem that it is!:)

Last edited:
There's three A2's at my college!! two 18 year olds and me (17)
black 1.6 opensky, silver 1.4, and my silver 1.4tdi opensky

seems i was a bit of a trendsetter :p

my 2 pence: A2 owners are individuals. They want something different; not the typical mass production stuff. They want classic design that wont date (to go with the aluminium body).

I am a 6ft 2" gentleman with blue eyes that likes to go for walks in the country....oops wrong website!! ;)

I make an effort to flash my lights at / crane my neck at every A2 driver I see and my anecdotal evidence is that there is no one A2 driver the same!

I would suggest the predominance of men (apart from the three lovely ladies above) on this Forum is just that men have a greater need to talk about cars...

Apart from the 3 examples of the fairer sex above, don't forget Heidi and Robins wife, Maddy, both A2 owners.

Also, DarrenCs better half, Diane is also an owner in her own right now!

I'm sure that there are other owners out there that have been left out, but I've got a terrible memory!

Cheers,

Mike

I must say that a fair majority of A2 drivers I see around London are female!

But they are reluctant to post on these pages - come on ladies, join in!

It may be worth printing out some of the A2OC 'business cards' and flyer any A2s you see parked up. We are a valuable resource for owners of all backgrounds and in this day and age, something that is good and free is not to be sniffed at!

Cheers,

Mike

Back