What is this for?

Toby

Hello!

Very new to A2OC, having just purchased a well loved late model SE.

I've searched the forums, looked at 7zap etc. but I find any information on what this is for:

Screenshot 2023-03-01 200059.png

Can anyone please enlighten me?

I've done some basic servicing, and just installed a Connects2 CTAADBT003 module - I was wondering if there's a way of routing a microphone up here somehow, behind this grill....

Thanks!

That is for your interior sensor for the alarm, there is a space for your microphone just in front of that in the light cluster, the one on the right in this pic...the grill behind the right light switch.

Hello!

Very new to A2OC, having just purchased a well loved late model SE.

I've searched the forums, looked at 7zap etc. but I find any information on what this is for:

View attachment 105147

Can anyone please enlighten me?

I've done some basic servicing, and just installed a Connects2 CTAADBT003 module - I was wondering if there's a way of routing a microphone up here somehow, behind this grill....

Thanks!
Factory location I believe for said microphone.

Evening Toby,

As Andy @Clackers states, the factory microphone location is forward right of your circled interior monitor sensor panel:

7E027A29-0A30-4CDD-92DB-8ECC1E49806E.jpeg

Routing the microphone loom up to this area is simple enough, I done exactly this with a Xcarlink microphone some years ago and more recently with factory microphones for the 8P0/8P1 BT handsfree kit.

The simple but not necessarily the best way..
From the back of the head unit just choose your preferred direction to the side of the vehicle, left over/behind the glovebox or right safely under/over the steering column following existing harness runs. Once you’re at either A pillar just use the door seal and A pillar trim to hide the loom to the headlining. Once at the headlining, most retrofitters seems to tuck the loom and microphone above the headlining. Once it’s near the middle of the top of the windscreen you can safely pull it through to the interior light switch panel. Time taken is a matter of minutes.

My preferred option for routing the microphone loom…
First up is to remove the headlining and the A pillars for a much needed reupholstering. From the back of the head unit follow the existing harness runs to the right whilst avoiding the steering column to get to the drivers side A pillar. From there follow the drives A pillar to the roof, the A pillar trims will handle this part of the loom once it’s replaced. Working along the roof from the right to the centre follow the existing harness run for the interior light/map reading light panel. A roll for fabric loom tape is your friend here to attach the new loom to the existing harness runs.

My preferred method is of course a lot of work and an overkill just for a microphone so consider either the quick and easy way or the more time consuming method but coincide it with other tasks like reupholstering the headlining.

Kind regards,

Tom

2work - thanks for the comprehensive advice,

I think I might take the simple option, the a-pillars and headlining are in great shape, so I don't want to disturb them too much.

Cheers!

Back