Whats behind the square?

J

jp.oog

Can anyone tell me what's behind that large black blanking plate on top of the dash and does it come off? :)

There's nothing there, other than about 15mm space, then the air ducts for the vents!

It's an often asked question and you're not alone in wondering if it can be removed!

Cheers,

Mike

if you find a thin enough LCD screen, a dremel and some crafty mechanical mods, who knows!

I've always thought about a pop-up screen there, but never had the gut to dremel into my own dash ;-)

Many thanks John. JUst wishful thinking on my part then. I was indeed considering the space for satnav
:(

So, it's a blanking plate, but is there a void underneath? Or a flat surface, even though not as deep as in the Polo tray? Is it hard to pull up with a putty knife, for example? I'd like to take a look around, as I'd like to put a GPS mount there (not the GPS itself, just the mount). Somehow I don't thing it'll hang on to such a curved surface.

It is NOT a blanking plate - it is a one piece construction that is an integral part of the entire dash, so cannot be removed unless you take a cutter to the top of the dash!

Cheers,

Mike

hi tigas if you want to mount a sat nav in the location of the square in the dash. i can recommend the round sticky disc's that stick down thus giving you a flat round surface for the suction mount to stick to.i got my ones from ebay for a couple of quid,it just leaves a disc just bigger than the suction mount base with a small lip around the edge so is not to off looking when the mount isn't being used.I'll try and get a pic or a link for you.
cheers mike

as i said look up ebay item no 400071945238 these are what we use and work well and this is the company i got my ones from

Last edited:
It is NOT a blanking plate - it is a one piece construction that is an integral part of the entire dash, so cannot be removed unless you take a cutter to the top of the dash!

Cheers,

Mike

Ouch! No thank you, I'll pass on it kind sir. Thanks for the clear-up!

If the round plastic adhesive disks work on the blanking plate I might have that problem solved. It's just perfect - eye level and at hand's reach.

Back