What's behind this gearbox panel?

Sylvester

I've been investigating this springy-noise coming from the engine bay.
It only happens when I lift up from the clutch. The slower I lift, the less noise it makes.

Today while tackling other things on my A2, I've found out the noise is coming from this section of the gearbox.
Seems it's only held on by a few bolts and comes off easily.
I assume that part swims in oil to help lubrication. If I drain the gearbox oil again, which I just done recently, could I have a look behind it, just by removing those few bolts, or that's rather complicated task and even bits could fall out? Thanks
Screenshot_20231123_202515_Sketchbook.jpg

It's just a case-cover plate for the end of the gearbox. Inside when removed it reveal a few clips and circlips on the end of a shaft underneath it all is the cogs and gubbins that make the gearbox, belive 5tj gear is the first one... not sure its the cause of the noises

It's just a case-cover plate for the end of the gearbox. Inside when removed it reveal a few clips and circlips on the end of a shaft underneath it all is the cogs and gubbins that make the gearbox, belive 5tj gear is the first one... not sure its the cause of the noises
Hi

Not sure but I suspect bearing support

DC8DADA5-DBB3-4E6F-BEC7-9D047F5C0370.png 0052E4C7-B22C-4CC2-AA1E-3AC854F5F09C.png

THere will be oil up to the level of the top fill bung lower lip. in theroy it will come out if its full and the casing lowest edge is lower than the lower lip of the fill bung...

THere will be oil up to the level of the top fill bung lower lip. in theroy it will come out if its full and the casing lowest edge is lower than the lower lip of the fill bung...
Yes I'm actually sorting that too in another thread. I'll just drain the oil again and remove that cover to see what's going on. Thanks

Back