Wheel/tyre query

Silverpig

Hi,

I’ve spotted a nice set of 15 inch Audi alloys and tyres for what appears to be a tempting price, however after checking through the definitive wheel/tyre thread I’m none the wiser as to whether they will fit.

Wheel size is 6J 15 HZ ET38, they are 5 x 100pcd and are on 195/60/15 tyres. Can anyone advise please? Thanks!

Hi,

I’ve spotted a nice set of 15 inch Audi alloys and tyres for what appears to be a tempting price, however after checking through the definitive wheel/tyre thread I’m none the wiser as to whether they will fit.

Wheel size is 6J 15 HZ ET38, they are 5 x 100pcd and are on 195/60/15 tyres. Can anyone advise please? Thanks!
Spec is good for the A2. Great information here...
https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/the-definitive-tyre-wheel-size-thread.12120/

Last edited:
You can sensibly run 205/45/R17 tyres on the 9-spoke Sport alloys, which are 7J and ET38. That's about as big as you can go without encountering some form of challenge. I usually use this combination as my reference point.
You're looking to run 195/60/R15 tyres, which are 2mm smaller in diameter. Given that the alloys are an inch narrower and that the offset is the same, I see no reason why they won't fit*.

*Of course, if your steering rack isn't properly centred (resulting in a tighter full-lock in one direction than the other), then you could still encounter some rubbing. I'm also assuming that the car isn't lowered and that the PUR inserts that sit between the rear axle and the springs are intact.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
You can sensibly run 205/45/R17 tyres on the 9-spoke Sport alloys, which are 7J and ET38. That's about as big as you can go without encountering some form of challenge. I usually use this combination as my reference point.
You're looking to run 195/60/R15 tyres, which are 2mm smaller in diameter. Given that the alloys are an inch narrower and that the offset is the same, I see no reason why they won't fit*.

*Of course, if your steering rack isn't properly centred (resulting in a tighter full-lock in one direction than the other), then you could still encounter some rubbing. I'm also assuming that the car isn't lowered and that the PUR inserts that sit between the rear axle and the springs are intact.

Cheers,

Tom
A thoughtful reply.

I do not want to deviate the thread onto 205/45/R17 tyres but I was under the impression that on the the original 9 spoke these tyres rub slightly on full lock and as the 15" in question is essentially the same diameter these might suffer this slight drawback as well and it should be mentioned .

(Or do you know with the reduced width and ET of the 15" the rubbing on full lock will not occur or my impression with 17" is false and caused more by factors in your last paragraph.)

Andy

PS. - Is a Timmus national tour anywhere on the horizon?

PPS. - My impression on 17" above was formed from the early February thread

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/ride-quality.34611/page-2#post-302562

I do not want to deviate the thread onto 205/45/R17 tyres but I was under the impression that on the the original 9 spoke these tyres rub slightly on full lock....

My A2 is 10mm lower than standard and I ran 205/45/R17 for a few years and never had any issues at either the front or the back. I know plenty of others have also used them without any problem. I suspect that those who have had issues have either had an offset steering rack or overly worn suspension components.

Is a Timmus national tour anywhere on the horizon?

I hope so! Send me a PM. :)

Back