wheel wobble... what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all

bit of a puzzler, I think... before someone says this should be in wheels & tyres, let me exlplain.

Got some new tires, a few months ago, Dunlop SP9000's
Had them balanced, everything seems OK.

2 months later, I have vibes making the steering wheel wobble, my first thought, was have them rebalanced, so I did, no difference, so I went back again, no difference, and just bee back again, and no difference again.

??

All the tyres boys are saying it's at the front were the problem is coming from, someone mentioned checking the ball joint.

The weird thing is, that occasionaly for a handfull of seconds i.e. whilst cruising down a slip road, the vibe-ing seems to stop... but returns as quick as it went.

The vibe-ing seems to be from just over 60mph although at 90mph (so I'm told! ;)) there's no vibes??

Quite honestly, it's ruining my drive, (vibe-ing steering wheels are a pet hate!)

Has anyone else had this, or have a take on what it could be? could it be more than bad balancing/tracking?

bba

i have read some people on here saying that wheel wobbling could be down to a buckled alloy, especially if its the 17" wheels.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/preppeller/audiicon.jpg[/img=left] A2 1.6FSI Sport in Azure Blue with strange blue sports interior
climate control, scratched front offside alloy, tape player.

Dont know if it helps but I am driving with a buckled 16" alloy which is due to be sorted under warranty (hopefully)I also am experiencing "wobble" at about 60+, the car is due in for its first service on the 11th August.....watch this space.

John - 2003 1.4 SE TDI, Red, Black interior,

Have they checked the lateral run-out of the front rims and tyres? Adding wheel weights won't correct this type of problem.

First, you could try swapping the front and rear wheels over. Any noticeable difference, and it's your wheels.

my 16" wheels have curbings?
is this a problem, wat do you mean by buckled?
also what do you mean by vibing?

Black 2001 A2 with 16" 6 spoke, Open sky system, xenon lights, and concert single cd.
Tha Best

smartboost,

I have directional tyres, how will this work if I swap the wheels round (as the tyre will all be wrong), or are you suggesting taking the tyres off and rebalancing on the opposing rims?

Also is it normal practise for tyre places to do, lateral run-out checks, and what would cause this condition?

IQ, vibing in my opinion is either feeling judder/vibrations either through the seat or steering wheel, when you are travelling at higher speeds.

If you have curbed your wheels, there are 2 choices...
1. drive more carefully, not much help once you've scuffed your wheels.
2. get them refurbished, I've had previous cars wheels refurbished, and they look like new!

hth

bba

bba,

If your tyres are directional, then change the front left and the rear left over. This is to check the front left, and keeps the tyres rotating the correct way.

Then change the front right and rear right over. This is to check the front right, and again keeps the tyres rotating the correct way.

I doubt tyre garages normally check lateral runout. Although where there is still a vibration problem after balancing they should, as the wheel might be buckled. Hitting a kerb or pothole could cause buckling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back