Wheeler dealers Audi RS6 Avant.

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Did anyone watch last nights episode of Wheeler Dealers with the 2004 Audi RS6 Avant. These super fast cars were being built at the same time as the A2,s when Audi were really on top of their game. The price of a new oil cooler was scary at £1,000 plus a similar amount for a replacement Alcantara head lining. A professional trimmer made the "biscuit" removal look easy. :oops:

Last edited:
yes i watched it and couldnt stop laughing
i had one in 2006 it was a 2003 car with 16,000 miles on and i paid £41,000 for it
i can even remember the reg OV52XOA in Missano Red
stunning looking car, but
Audi had it more than me as it had more faults than i can dare to remember
they have the chocolate gearbox from the Audi A8 D2 which has proven to be patheticly unreliable
Fast car yes indeed
it didnt handle and the brakes were poor
ive seen 2 recently on ebay go for £5000-£5500
wouldnt touch one with a barge pole

Certainly was equipped with a 'marginal' gearbox, the ZF 5HP24A, but part of the problem was Audi's (and other manufacturers) insistence that it required zero maintenance. Simple regular hot flush oil and filter changes can extend it's life considerably.
The non 4WD VAG version (5HP24) fitted to many BMW, Jaguar and Range Rover models suffrered similar issues.

Certainly was equipped with a 'marginal' gearbox, the ZF 5HP24A, but part of the problem was Audi's (and other manufacturers) insistence that it required zero maintenance. Simple regular hot flush oil and filter changes can extend it's life considerably.
The non 4WD VAG version (5HP24) fitted to many BMW, Jaguar and Range Rover models suffrered similar issues.

I have that ‘marginal’ gearbox in my D2 Quattro, once it’s back from having a coolant leak sorted its off for gearbox & filter fluid change as it’s a bit sh!te, conversely, my other 2WD A8’s box is beautiful!

I had one a few years back, and yes I had to replace the gearbox. The costs of running that car put me off high performance cars for life. I was running a TVR Cerbera 4.5 at the same time , which was considerably more reliable and economical to run !

I bought a November 2017 RS6 Avant in October 2022. Fantastic Car and problem free except for a new Water Pump, Thermostats and Air Con Condenser. All replaced under Warranty.

4.0 V8 Petrol. 560 PS 0 - 62 mpg 3.8 secs. 8 Speed whatsit ( Tiptronic ) Transmission Quattro. Dynamic Pack inc Max Top Speed Increase limited to 174 mph, Selectable Dynamic Steering and Dynamic Suspension. All can be selected on the MMI inc the Exhaust Sound. The Fuel Consumption is not even frightening due to Cylinder on Demand Technology ( only runs on 4 Cylinders when 8 are not needed). Sepang Blue. Black Exterior Styling. Panoramic Sunroof. Full Black Leather RS Supersports Heated Seats. Adaptive Cruise Control. Lane Assist. Loads more.

I’ve already bought New Front and Rear Discs and Pads for when it needs them.

Might have to think about changing it when the 2 Year Warranty runs out though !

Steve U

Last edited:
Back