Wheels rusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

deheld

Sunday I wanted to swap my alloys for my steel rimmed winter tires.
Turns out that my alloys are oxidized to the steel center thingy (naaf). They've been on there for about 20.000 km's (since march this year).
I've tried hammers, bits of wood, rust removing oil, but it didn't move one millimeter.

Have to take it to the garage tomorrow to have them swapped.

My neighbour gave me the advise (to late) to remove the wheels once or twice a year and cleaning the inside with some sandpaper and greasing it with some vaseline.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Yup - small amount of grease on mating surfaces works wonders.

One way to oosen them is to slacken the nuts a little (a couple of turns) with the car on the ground and rock it from side to side. Then jack up the car.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO (1.4 Petrol SE, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys on order) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

What alloys have you got on order Ian? Standard Audi ones or aftermarket?

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Rob

It has the five spoke no-cost Audi wheels, Saw the car on Friday and it looks good, picking it up tomorrow evening.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO (1.4 Petrol SE, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys on order) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

The bonding of aluminium and steel is a well recognised process. It is why Audi uses passivated bolts etc. in assembling the A2. Even stainless steel bonds with aluminium given time, let alone in areas like wheels. Copper based grease is the best solution unless wheels are coated.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, 2004 grill, Tinted Security Glass (+Road Angel)

I can certainly remember being warned off vaseline in these circumstances (can't remember why), and always use copper grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back