Where’s the Oil Leak?

Philip

Got an engine oil leak on my FSI, but I can’t see where it’s coming from - looking under the undertray it definitely isn’t coming from the filter or housing, oil filler or dipstick tubes or the sump seal or plug. Crank seals were replaced about 10k ago. Seems to be dripping on the undertray towards the front of the engine somewhere in line with the centre of the radiator fan, and it‘s also getting spattered higher up (the wrap on the coolant pipes is wet with oil); bad photo attached - looking straight down to the undertray, manifold heat shield is the metal to the left, engine fan body at the bottom centre.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ACA1F607-ED83-4EFA-9FBE-E1D12523C636.jpeg
    ACA1F607-ED83-4EFA-9FBE-E1D12523C636.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
First thought was the pressure sensor failing, but after cleaning it earlier, there doesn’t seem to be much fresh oil on it.

I just had the exact same problem. The oil pressure switch looked clean but there was a lot of oil on the cables, pipes and block in the area below. I thought it must be something more serious and left the car with a local repairer. They fixed it but it WAS the oil switch after all. Of course, it cost me a lot more than the £8 cost of a new oil switch. Just change the switch, it’s a cheap and quick probable fix.

Oil filler tube can crack and split lower down if the engine gets tilted of its mounts for work like clutch or gearbox or timing chain. If it not detached at the top by the service flap the tilting cab stress what is a corrugated plastic tube. There's a thread where someone replaced theirs with a fuel pipe and re used the ends of the original. Good luck with sourcing the oil.

Oil level sensor is what I had to change on FSi, easy change, £10 ON EBAY.

oil pressure switch, green bit top centre of your picture. same happened on my FSI. if you take the plug off you will see oil inside the switch
if it's failing
hope that helps

Back