Where can I Buy a Michelin Primacy Tyre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foghorn

Well folks it had to happen - got a puncture[V]. Car came out of the garage this morning at 0630 and seemed to de 'dragging'. Thought it was the handbrake stuck but NO.............N/S/R flat as a pancake. Then a scene from Dirty Harry came to my mind - "Do you feel lucky.......well do you?" Luck never falls in my favour as the hole was in the inner wall which means a NEW Tyre :(. At this point I took the easy option - left it on the drive and took the wifes Fiat with strict instructions to source a new tyre starting with Audi.

After 15 phone calls to just about every main tyre fitter in the North West I'm no better off. None in stock anywhere! Audi can supply for £81.83 except they inform me that Michelin will have to make one as the company is out of stock!!! Might take two weeks. Given that these cars do not carry a spare and the use of the glue automatically ruins the tyre what sort of customer support is this?

Can anyone put me in touch with a supplier for the Michelin Primacy 185/50/16? Would prefer local service or will even consider mail order. You can get anything for a price but I know some members have quoted £80 which I think is fair. Kwik Fit came out at £106 if they can get one [:eek:)]

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

I've used the glue stuff twice before it works a treat. When I took the tyre to be repaired I had to pay an extra £5 for them to clean the stuff off and voila a repaired tyre. Not much you can do though if it's in the side wall..

Have you tried sourcing the tyre from the internet... There are quite a few companies offering tyres.

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

RTV
Trying at the moment. Thing is yes they list them but do they carry them in stock? No. Leep trying I suppose.

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

Would it be worth nipping down your local Skoda garage and seeing if they do a spacesaver spare of the same rolling diameter.

I know this would mean more initial outlay (Skoda probably being the cheapest of the VW group) but it would tide you over until a proper tyre is availabe. Also it would be available as a spare if this was to happen again.

A2%20front%20side_small.jpg
1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm

This is indeed a problem with not having a space saver. It's happened to me in the past - had to wait a while to get one too.

I'm just lucky I only had a slow puncture so reinflating before a journey seemed to work.

Suffolk is more dangerous than you think...

I know these guys keep one or two on the off chance - they're who our audi dealer sent us to. Once I was in luck and they had one, the other time they didn't. I know it's a long way from you, but it might be worth a ring to see if they would courier you one if you're desperate.

Tollgate Tyre & Exhaust Centre Ltd
Tollgate Warehouse, Thetford Rd Fornham St. Martin
Bury St. Edmunds Suffolk
IP31 1SX

Tel: 01284 725777

Suffolk is more dangerous than you think...

hello
i think if you try (Selecta Tyres) there usually pretty good and have a large variety of tyres not saying they would definity have the tyre but if you have one close to you you should give them a go and if they have'nt got one in they would try and get one for you and at a good price and fairly quickly.

Good hunting

Andrew Simmons A2 TDI SE Cobalt Blue

A.D.Simmons

I may have sorted it! Tried E-Tyres (internet) who visit you with the tyre to fit it. They didn't have one but put me in touch with a local firm associated with them - Apparantly they have a contract with a local Audi dealer. They confirm that these tyres are on back order and appear to have supplied Audi A2 customers in the past via the dealer. Hopefully they will fit their last one on my car on Friday!! Otherwise I'll have to wait TWO weeks.

AUDI UK - LISTEN UP GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND MAKE THIS AN AVAILABLE ITEM GIVEN THAT WE HAVE NO SPARE!!!

Regards - The Foghorn

Finally got the new tyre today - many thanks to www.etyres.co.uk who supplied it for £99.

It was a dilemma as the puncture was a slow one and right on the edge. No chance of a repair but I was told by the fitter that I could either put on a new tyre OR use the compound as it could last for a year!! I chose a new tyre. It has been confirmed to me again that once the compound is used the tyre CANNOT be repaired.

Those of you with spacesavers take note: Look closely at the car jack and how flimsy it is. If you have to remove a rear tyre from the drum I doubt very much you will be able to remove it without the car slipping off the jack. A rubber mallet was needed (and some force) to remove the wheel again even though it had been off two days previously!

Can anyone remember who recommended that permanent compound treatment that stays in your tyres - I think this will be a good investment?

Regards - The Foghorn

I saw the other day how differently these guys quote prices for tyres... so what are you quoting here?

They price of the tyre alone? Or the tyre with fitting and balancing? Because that can add a lot to the total price... My one dealer (Gatwick) charged me £120 all in and Docklands £140 all in... YES I've had two replaced on seperate ocasions...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/180225.jpg[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

quote:permanent compound treatment that stays in your tyres

Funny you mention that. I was just thinking about them as I got about half way down your post. I kept the URL and did send them an e-mail, but had no response.

Ultraseal UK

Ade. Thanks for the info. I have been on their web site and will follow it up. You can prtoect 4 wheels for £45 - which if I had used on my slow puncture would have fixed it for life!

The total price I quoted above was 'all in' - balanced + VAT etc. This compnay come to you and have national coverage. They do the work in the back of the van! Fortunately the local guy that helped me supplies a local Audi main dealer so they always carry these tyres in stock. Ironic but when he rang me he was just soring a job out at Audi!

Regards - The Foghorn

Cool - I'll save that link then for next time!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/180225.jpg[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Surly this compound stuff that stays in your tyres is just the same stuff as you have in your boot ?????

It does concern me that you could have many punctures on a single tyre without even knowing it, weekening the tyre. Also how would you know that the tyre has a puntcure on the inside rim, I presume it would just plug the hole, this goes completely against tyre manufacturers and fitters saftey regulations...

How sad am I, but whilst watching QVC last night what appeared under the car care section?, only the tyre repair compound that everybodys been talking about for weeks. For those that are interested I suggest you watch it as they show you how it works.

[2002] | 1.4 | azure blue | 2 tone leather | concert II single cd.
Member of A2OC site.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk12.htm

quote:How sad am I

You need to get out more :D

Seriously, it sounded like the mutts nuts when I read about it, would be good to see it in action though.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Build Wk40/2002
Delivery Options: OpenSky
s.gif
Azure Blue
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
DIS
s.gif
APS
s.gif
Lumbar
Retrofitted: Rear Drinks Holder
s.gif
Floppy Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds

UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Have just checked on my car and its been fitted with Dunlop SP 9000 tyres.

Hope there are no supply problem with these..

Snap, mine too.

That's what I see on every car in my local Audi garage, so I'll be alright I hope.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Build Wk40/2002
Delivery Options: OpenSky
s.gif
Azure Blue
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
DIS
s.gif
APS
s.gif
Lumbar
Retrofitted: Rear Drinks Holder
s.gif
Floppy Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds

UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

If its the 'mutts nutts' I've gotta have it with my dogs twitchers!

It seems s bsrgsin just found it on the QVC web site! Mal is it the same as Ultraseal and how many wheels will the one litre bottle do?

Regards - The Foghorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back