Where is the Idle control valve?

im333

Hi all,

Bought some carb cleaner and cleaned the above on my other car.
Was wondering, in the 1.4 petrol, where EXACTLY is the above?

Any write-ups with pics?

Thanks,
im333

Hi im333
I'm no expert on the A2 petrol engine but most modern cars with full electronic control of ignition and injection dont have an idle control (or stabiliser) valve. Instead the ECU processes a signal from the crankshaft speed sensor and adjusts the fuelling to maintain the correct idle speed.

Cheers Spike

Hi im333
I'm no expert on the A2 petrol engine but most modern cars with full electronic control of ignition and injection dont have an idle control (or stabiliser) valve. Instead the ECU processes a signal from the crankshaft speed sensor and adjusts the fuelling to maintain the correct idle speed.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

Just cleaned this valve on my e36 bmw.

Hi im333
What's the engine code of your A2 - i'll try and find out if it has one or not.

Sorry i'm not up on bmw models - how old is your e36

Cheers Spike

Hi im333
What's the engine code of your A2 - i'll try and find out if it has one or not.

Sorry i'm not up on bmw models - how old is your e36

Cheers Spike

It's a 1997 - but all the newer ones have the valve too.
I'm not sure about the engine code spike; it's a 2002 1/4 se petrol :)

The nearest thing I can see to an idle valve is the throttle control valve - Spike is correct in that idle adjustments are made electronically (Vag Com can do it) via the engine ECU.

Is there any particular reason you want to clean this part, i.e. do you have idling problems?

Cheers,

Mike

The nearest thing I can see to an idle valve is the throttle control valve - Spike is correct in that idle adjustments are made electronically (Vag Com can do it) via the engine ECU.

Is there any particular reason you want to clean this part, i.e. do you have idling problems?

Cheers,

Mike

On idle, the revs "wobble" slightly.
It was my first port of call to clean up.

Back